BMI

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Wyatttr22, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Sounds like Schneider.

17" neck they'll send you for sleep study too. These are Schneider things not FMCSA.

SmallPackage Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And everything you are saying is bs. The simple fact is apnea testing isn't required, and if you are at a place that is doing it go to a place that doesn't.
    Just because you choose to go to a place, doesn't mean it's a regulation like you claim. It's not a requirement. Period. Full stop. Stop choosing to go to a place that is lying to you and read the actual handbook for and the relevant regulations. Then go to a place that follows the regulations.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  4. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Thats what I’m trying to explain. It’s a policy taken on by a recommendation. That is what some states are starting to do and dot examiners are too. They are basically making their own unwritten law on it due to the interpretation of a recommendation. Trucking companies are even selling the cpaps.

I know you get it.

5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    If you would please post links to the Recommendation these medical examiners are claiming.
    Also links to any trucking companies selling CPAP equipment. If these operations are not following regulations, they need to comply. OOIDA would have a field day with this. They have lots of attorneys standing by.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  6. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    A Trucking Company can not sell a Medical Device. A CPAP Machine is a medical device sold by prescription only.

7. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    LOL, that opening sentence man. Come on, we aren't talking about worldwide trucking here. This is the United States and you can throw a rock in a large city in any direction and hit a doctor who will do a DOT physical.
    My recommendation to the OP, keep losing weight. In the meantime look for small clinics that cater to uninsured people and go there for your physical. They are less likely to hit you up for that cpap ########.

8. kitcarguy

kitcarguy Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Why are these companies doing it? Is it for potential lawsuits if a driver gets in an accident or......?

I am going for my physical on Tuesday. I did notice on the DOT physical form under Medical Conditions it does ask if you have a sleep disorder and if you have had a sleep test. So if its not a deal breaker why are they asking? I should point out I have to do the DOT physical for the school im starting in June.

Its also a bit odd to me that I can get this physical, complete cdl training 6 weeks later and another "Company" Dr can potentially override what the last certified.

9. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    The BMI chart is an archaic tool! I’m 6’5” and 250. According to the chart I am obese! When I was 17 I played football and was 290. We ran the bleachers everyday at practice and instead of gym class we hit the weight room. At 290 I was considered morbidly obese but didn’t even have a gut! I don’t think my neck has ever been under 17” and I’ve never had to take a sleep scam test! I sleep so soundly that when my wife and I first got together she would check on me in the middle of the night because I didn’t move and didn’t snore. There are doctors out there that don’t buy into this B S. Although there are people out there that could probably benefit from a sleep study and a cpap. But just because a person is large does NOT mean they are unhealthy!

10. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    It's all BS. At my last job, I had to go to one of those big chain places to get my physical. Worknet was the name I believe..

I had gained some weight since the last time, I was around 190 I think. And I'm only 5'6" tall. So I was listed as obese. They recommended I get a sleep study. I told them to get bent and walked out. Went home to my family doctor and explained the situation. Got a two year card issues the same day. No mention of any sleep study.

Ultimately, I did end up getting tested two years later. I had ballooned up to 220 in that time, and wasn't eating right or living right. Had lots of issues at home, and I eat when I'm stressed. But I don't have sleep apnea.

I've lost the weight, I was back down to 170 before the Covid crap. I'm hovering around 190 now.

Oh and around here you don't go to an actual doctor to get a DOT physical. There's none in the area. Unless you go to Worknet, Carenet or Concentra, all over an hour away. But somehow a Chiropractor can certify that I'm medically fit to do my job....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.