bobtail ?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 2hellandback, Dec 23, 2008.

1. psanderson

psanderson Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Moline, Illinois
    Going to the KW dealer is not personal use and the time to the repair facility, as well as the time waiting to have the repairs made is recordable time under part 395.2. Here's the applicable parts of 392.2

Sec. 395.2 Definitions. On duty time means

2) All time inspecting, servicing, or conditioning any commercial motor vehicle at any time;

(6) All time repairing a commercial motor vehicle;

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    I'm leased to Schneider and when I pull the truck at the fairs I have to log it. I even have to log when I pull my own trailer with my 4x4 puller to the fairs. I would say when in doubt CYA...cover your #####.

4. Otter

Otter Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Milton, VT.
    Quite correct, you must report the mileage. While it's legal to drive the tractor bobtail off duty, you would have to show the mileage for road tax purposes. However, you need NOT show those miles on your logbook. When I go home, I drop my trailer at my friend's shop, write down the odometer reading, bobtail home, sometimes I bobtail to the market or somewhere while the YL has the car. When I go to get the trailer to start the next trip, I write down the odometer reading again. I show all mileage for tax purposes, but only show mileage driven "On Duty" on my logbook.

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I am only referring to Landstar's policy of this in 2000. It had to be shown on the log book.

6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You need to show the company all the hours you were on duty the past 7 days . This is on duty . You need to turn it in to them . You might as well use their book . Just right "taking truck for service" in the comment section .

7. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Company log book because you should only have 1 log book unless you are working for another company. Which you are not so I am not going into "if" you work for another company.

It would need to be logged on your log sheet for the company you are leased to.
    Im confused as to why "you" have a log book and then you have one for the "company" you are leased to?
    You should only have one log book, right PSanderson? I would see no reason you should be keeping 2?

THe log book reflects what you have been doing for the company you are working for. If you are pulling for different trucking companies (Not sure that's possible) then it would be a different story and I am not sure about that. But I am thinking you are leased on to a company and you only pull loads for that specific company. I don't know I am confused, help.

I understand you know to log it, but I wonder if you are logging wrong if you have 2 log books.

psanderson Thanks this.
  8. psanderson

Oct 13, 2008
    Moline, Illinois
    What's the difference between "my log book", and a "company log book"? Please define these different log books. Is one different than the other in design? Does one have more information than the other? What is the purpose of these different log books? You have me confused.

Logs & probably more appropriately the Audie Murphy wannabe (remember that movie about hell & back?); I'm still baffled by that one because I can't remember anything in 49 CFR about a "my log book", or even a "company log book" and I enforced those rules as a fed for over 24 years. But since I've been retired for a while it may be that there is something in the new rules that became effective on 10/01/08.......I'll check that out from the Gov't Printing Office website where one may find all the new rules from all the different CFR titles.

Nope.....I just looked at the new rules effective 10/01/08 & I can't anything in the new rules at 49 CFR, 23 CFR, 6 CFR, 14 CFR, 15 CFR, 19 CFR, 29 CFR, 32 CFR, 40 CFR, and 46 CFR (these all contain information to some degree about transportation) Re. a "my log book" and/or a "company log book" either. Must be some kind if phantom deal this person says sarcastically to someone that claims to have been driving for 10-years.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I can understand where there might be a problem . Some companies audit logs by computer and the computer requires certain information like dispatch number , BOL number , etc. and will flag logs missing this info . A log book other than the company issued log book will notify the safety department of the reason for discrepancy . Also while bobtailing he would be on his own NTL liability . In case of an accident an officer seeing a company log book might think the carrier's insurance company would need to be notified . There are drivers working for two companies using 2 log books . That is proper procedure but they have to provide each company with copies of both logs .

10. Otter

Otter Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Milton, VT.
    If you're working for two companies, you should be useing a triplicate logbook, with the first two pages going to each of the companies, and the third page being retained by the driver.

11. psanderson

Oct 13, 2008
    Moline, Illinois
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.