Bought my first truck *1989 Peterbilt 379*

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by OldPete89, Jun 25, 2017.

1. OldPete89

OldPete89 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2017
    USA
    Hello,

I just bought my fist truck and could use some input. I bought the truck off of an old timer who has not driven it in years. It was sitting in his yard and I approached him with an offer and he accepted, so now here we go!
    The truck is an 89' with a 3406B CAT. It has the 18 eaton fuller in it, has brand new batteries in it (still under warranty). It runs good, and shows 550000km on the odometer. That's about 335K miles. It appears to be all original. I did a "rig dig" and nothing alarming came up. Apparently it was a custom build for a Canadian O/O back in 89'. It was assembled in Texas according to the records that I have been able to find.
    Long story, but I am looking for some input on what I should be doing in order to get this thing up to par, and what I might need to look out for. It has been sitting for about 5 years, and I understand the fuel, tires and wheel seals, belts, a few hoses, and other things need to be addressed. My question is for those of you who have ran this equipment. I am looking for some advanced information on the motor and haven't been able to find much about it here. Please feel free to leave some input. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    We need pictures .......

Oxbow, rank, JimmyWells and 11 others Thank this.
  4. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
  5. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    start by going threw all your soft parts (rubber, belts hoses seals ect), check the overhead change all the fluids. when was the last time the truck saw any regular use?

we need pictures of this truck :thumbup:

Oxbow, DDlighttruck and OldPete89 Thank this.
  6. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Any used vehicles/trucks I've bought I like to do a quick inspection and write down any possible leaks before I wash the truck off completely spotless. Then I go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb. A pen and paper will be your best friend here. Note absolutely every issue you find, even if its as minor as a chaffing air line. I like to try and get a good run in with it too if its roadworthy. If it isn't, fix what you need to make it safe and go for a run. Being that its nice and clean, any possible leaks you noted before washing will be easy to confirm and pinpoint the source. Once you have your final list, plan your repairs and get to work.

Grubby, Oxbow, clausland and 5 others Thank this.
  8. RollingRecaps

RollingRecaps Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2016
    We need pics or it didn't happen

Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    I had that first generation 18 speed in my 88 pete, loved it. 88 was the first year they offered it, they gave it to me for the same price as the 13 since it was new.

Oxbow, OldPete89 and wore out Thank this.
  10. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    That's pretty low mileage for that vintage. You likely have done well.
    I had same unit/power train in '91 when I decided to drag a reefer for the summer....a weak moment IMG_0312.JPG

Oxbow, LBZ, OldPete89 and 2 others Thank this.
  11. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I wouldnt say I'm the man. But I have made a living with an old B model a long time.

Grubby, Oxbow, OLDSKOOLERnWV and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.