Brokers 101

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by help123, May 20, 2007.

1. twinturbotrans

twinturbotrans Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2008
    NW

I'd have to disagree there MedicineMan...its true majority of C.H.R loads are heavy and dont pay much but it doesnt mean the whole C.H.R sucks.....i work with one branch and one C.H broker for about 5 years now and she really takes care of me as far as LTL goes...ive hauled for her 3 pallets and she paid me full truck load and it happened on many occasions....but then again i won't do any work with other branches because yes they pay barely 1.20 a mile and they super heavy...the good thing is she would never call me with cheap freight which makes easier for me because i don't have to tell her NO

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Grand Rapids, MI
    twinturbo, I'll have to reply to you on this thread or something, I don't have 50 posts yet, so I can't send a PM. What's that all about? Never had a forum with that rule... ???

4. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    You'r not disagreeing. You are pointing out an example. I've hauled for CHR since the early ninties/late 80's Unfortunatly they are a necasarry evil as they do have the freight when you HAVE to get somewhere and it's better than deadheading.

5. Eskimo6804

Eskimo6804 Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    Medman, you're my buddy....but now ya done did it. It is that kind of attitude that keep these broker rates low. They don't worry about raising rates because they know that "THEY HAVE the frieght when you have to get somewhere and it's better than deadheading". Somebody will always haul it as a "backhaul" to just pay for fuel to get home. That is the business model of most of these cheap brokers, and unfortunately it is a sound and profitable model.

6. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    no no no... First I havn't pulled chr load in about 10 years..And back in the day I never pulled for under $1 a mile. That was when fuel was $.82 gallon by the way. AND I have been known to Deadhead from MI to CA when produce rates were high because I refused to pull the cheap stuff going out and waste a day or more loading and unloading and getting to the loads back.

I said on the page earlyer that he needed to learn how to negotiate with these guys

7. Eskimo6804

Eskimo6804 Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    Yes, he needs to develop some skill in negotiating with brokers. What he DESPERATELY needs to do is pound the pavement, burn up the phones, light up fax machines, beg, grovel, steal, grease palms, or whatever else he can do to get direct customers. He should have done that BEFORE getting authority, but that is irrelevant now and you must admire his courage, balls, reckless abandon, stupidity, or ignorance(take your pick, they all fit).

8. twinturbotrans

Feb 20, 2008
    NW
    We do produce from California every season but deadheading from MI to CA???? you gotta be kidding me....i hope they were paying u at least 5.00 a mile outta CA cause ive pulled loads outta cali for 3-3.50 when season is right and i still wouldnt deadhead from OR to CA ....you talking 2000mile deadhead from MI....im just curious what made u deadhead that far how much were they paying you???

9. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    It was every bit of $3 mile, it was also in the mid ninties like I said. You could do that with $.82 fuel not $4 fuel

10. twinturbotrans

Feb 20, 2008
    NW
    Harbin my suggestion if u have a dry van try doing some LTL theres lotta brokers out there they will pay you for full truck and will only load less than half a trailer...i do this at least 5-10time every week especially from NJ/PA area coming back home to OR/WA since rates outta there are crap id rather spend another 1 or 2 picking 2 more partials and come home for 2.00+ dollar a mile and have 2 extra stops...sometimes i load my guys better back from East coast then from home....LTL is the way to go if u ask me....everytime u call for a load make sure to ask a broker how much load weights and how many spots it will take then do lil bit of calculations and start filling trailer up...LTL brokers are more likely to raise a rate especially if the product needs to move....hell this thursday i loaded some matresses from TN coming back to WA for 3900 ...sure its like 1.50 a mile but there was 35ft available come friday i get him an LTL to WA as well another 15pallets from IA for 2000k....now if u do the math its 5900 total now just one extra stop and pretty much same miles but now its at 2.20 per mile...last week i remember i took a load from Buffalo,NY back to WA for 4k only 1 military skid coming back to FT lewis from Landstar.....what do u think gotta fill the rest of it up...its all about communications and finding out how much of actual load there is....if they say yea 26pallets 43000lbs and 1.20mile hell with that just keep making calls...just some examples hopefully it helps.

11. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    That rule is to keep the recruiters and brokers from spaming! lol:biggrin_25524:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.