C-12 what went wrong? Blown engine

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by CruzControhl, Apr 5, 2020.

1. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CruzControhl

CruzControhl Light Load Member

May 7, 2018
    jacket's.

Attached Files:

4. CruzControhl

May 7, 2018
    I was told to drive it and check in with updates at x destination. Looks like piston and valve collided and piston was destroyed and chewed a hole in cylinder wall all the way to jackets.

Doealex Thanks this.
  5. CruzControhl

May 7, 2018
    Block

Attached Files:

6. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    C12 like the C13 are very trouble prone.Could be a number of things.

Doealex and CruzControhl Thank this.
  7. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Well that was bad advice, general rule of thumb on my hands is when hearing loud noises turn it off right away if in a position that allows.

We had a Newer glider in our fleet with a Detroit factory rebuild with 250 on it split a piston and bust a valve just rolling down a flat highway. So much destruction even though shutdown.

Couldn't exactly tell what came first, the chicken or the egg.

Doealex and CruzControhl Thank this.
  8. Shawn2130

Shawn2130 Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    A 2 piece piston. Looks like it grenaded a skirt, steel piston slapped around, pounding the liner and taking everything with it.

hypothetical thought

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm not really seeing hard evidence of valve contact on the piston crown. For a valve contact to cause that kind of damage I'm thinking you'd see the valve imbeded into the crown and/or some hard valve marks on there too.

I'm thinking more along the lines of oil jet issue if the C12 has them. Piston gets too hot, expands too far, stiction and metal transfer between the skirt/liner. Boom! Failure.

10. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Didn't hear about it much on the 2KS C-12, but was a known problem on the MBL bridge C-12. If you have ever had one apart, you would find the wrist pin is not retained by snap rings but a teflon plug. Plugs were believed to wear out, wrist pin get into liner, crack skirt, and the carnage begins. Overheated engines seemed to be more common to issue. Two I seen both were #5 cylinder and wiped out ECM so no data could be viewed. Both were during warranty and Cat took care of both.

blacklabel, SAR, AModelCat and 4 others Thank this.
  11. Shawn2130

Shawn2130 Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    The possibility could be, steel pistons are pretty hard. Takes a lot of force to shove something through.

If the valve did drop as there is a valve in the picture, or stayed down, would possibly cause the steel crown shove down on an angle, break the skirt, ventilate the liner as the piston continues to go up and down.

A piston on an angle with no skirt to keep it center is wider than the bore so would bust up the sleeve.

CruzControhl Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.