CDL and DUI's

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by AZ CDL, Jul 14, 2017.

1. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Either consult a local DUI attorney, or call one of the trucker legal services ( road law, interstate trucker ltd)

@Chinatown for suggestions as to what companies MIGHT be willing to hire you. You have a big hole to climb out of, dude, but others have had to do it. GOOD LUCK!

AZ CDL and Bwbibb Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    BYOB...I mean Bwbibb... sorry...is Right.Fact is on paper you are a High Risk to the insurance co. Maybe you were "Profiled" a big misunderstanding,more sober than the other guy so you drove yada yada etc.They look at Paper.They think why take the chance? We have a fresh faced kid 23 here with not so much as a parking ticket.Well take him.Next.Justbeing honest.

Bean Jr. and Bwbibb Thank this.
  4. Driver0000

Driver0000 Medium Load Member

Jun 26, 2016
    I think a lot of companies require 7 years since DUI, but I know of at least one that's 5 years.

Less than 5 since your DUI and you might be stuck with a last chance Carrier.

5. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
    Am I qualified if I have a DUI, violation or accident on my motor vehicle record (MVR)?

At a minimum, to be eligible to participate in our driver training program, an applicant must have:

• A clean driving record meeting all company qualifications.
    • No more than one preventable accident within the last 36 months.
    • No DUI within the last 36 months.
    • Not more than two moving violations in the last 36 months.
    • No more than one major preventable accident while driving a commercial vehicle
    • THIS IS YRC

AZ CDL and Bwbibb Thank this.
  6. Bwbibb

Bwbibb Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Things are getting more bad when growers their standards that far.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There was a time if you had ANY DUI, Drinking drugging etc. You were pretty much FINISHED with trucking. Period.

There is a whole series of databases kept on all truckers in the USA called DAC, PSP etc. Once you are part of the system with something serious like DUI, DWI etc. you can pretty much gaurantee if you do this again the second time you are finished with trucking. If the state does not run off and revoke your license the second time. Arkansas suspends 90 days first offense, revokes the second. Plus a 10K minimum fine to start. Most people don't have 10K.

You made a sentance that does not make sense. You say that you had THC in system but not under influence. Boy you don't understand that under Federal Law THC is a schedule One drug. Under the scheduling Schedule One drugs are very powerful alterants. You are MOST DEFINATELY influenced when you have that stuff inside your system in any amount. It is also a automatic BAN against your CDL should you be given a schedule one medicine inside a hospital situation for whatever reason. You cannot legally have that stuff in your system and be able to touch a big truck or even a car.

You sound like you intend to carry on with your drug seeking life style. You can do that but you will not be able to trucking. It's just not going to happen. Frankly it is a very easy path to killing someone or several someones and is not tolerated or accepted in trucking. It will never be.

I don't know what you are looking for coming here talking about using drugs and somehow driving a big truck with the stuff in your system. It's not going to happen. What are you expecting? Sympathy? Brotherly love? something else? That's not going to happen either.

If it is one area in life that the Government has been extremely successful in, it's weeding out drug users from trucking. They are gone. Before they kill someone. And they will. if I took some of those drugs I will also kill someone in a big truck. That's not going to happen with me. Im already off the road because my own medical situation requires it. There is no way I can drive safely a big truck for too long. I can probably BS my way down the road out of sheer experience for about 10 miles but problems WILL reveal me to be influenced by the medicines I take.

If you want trucking. Put down the #### drugs and wait 10 years which is about how long it will take for you to start over completely with a clean slate. And put away the #### drugs out of your life period. Cut the people who use them in your presence out of your life also. And so on.

I don't think you have 10 years the way things are going. You are going to get yourself suspended first then revoked and probably into something much much more bigger and lawbreaking if not also outright murder. Even if you don't really mean it.. That is a future you don't want. And for what? A half day feeling good hit from a drug?

HA. Don't be stupid boy... life is not that good. Life is supposed to be hard. How you handle it head on makes you a better person. Escaping from it is not the way to do it.

Driver0000 Thanks this.
  8. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    This is what I'm talking about. People on weed don't think they are in drugs! No I wasn't under the influence. It was yesterday. I don't use it very often. Its legal now. Everyone does it. Alcohol is worse. Etc

9. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    :biggrin_25523: do you bleet?

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    First off. Go to your local Background Criminal Investigations. BCI. Or whatever it may be called in your state. Apply for expungement if you can. Pay whatever fee it may be. Submit your fingerprints. Receive your record. And wait for letter to come in mail saying yay or nay and read whatever else information it says. You'll do yourself a world of good in the future by keeping your criminal history CLEAN. Misdemeanors can be expunged. Felonies for the most part can't. I"m not sure which type of felonies can be expunged.

You might be able to get your thc expunged. You might have to wait 2 more years. Under the influence charges generally have a 10 year time frame. And it's generally 10 years from last offense but again. Depends on your state and what the rules are these days.

Depending on the state. First time dui suspension is 90 days. I think Utah changed to 120 days now though. I"m not sure. If you have a cdl. It's 1 year. You'll be able to drive a car after 90 days. Or whatever. But you won't be able to drive a truck for 1 year. That's just your FIRST OFFENSE. And that's a federal thing. Not a state thing. It goes on a 10 year basis. From last dui i beleive. A second offense will revoke your cdl. For life.

When was your last dui?

It depends on the company and the insurance they use as for whether you can get hired. But you can plan on a rough going for up to 10 years.

I had a dui. It was 8 years before i got my cdl. When the question on the application says have i ever been suspended. I answer no. It's irrelevant now but it was expunged from my criminal history. Only way anyone will find it these days is to pull up my lifetime mvr.

11. calnca

calnca Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Bella Vista, AR
    While some insurance carriers will run and hide, there are other carriers, such as our group, who tend to Exclude or Charge for these life issues. We typically still consider "felony convictions" for 5 years, not 10. In your case, in AZ, if "Insured" decided he didn't want to sign the exclusion, depending on the rest of your mvr, we'd want a additional premium to include you in the $ 10,000 - 15,000 depending on value of equipment you'd be driving.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.