CDL and employment without high school

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by V8power, Dec 23, 2012.

1. MittRomknee

MittRomknee Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Palm Desert, CA.
    My company requires at minimum, a High school diploma from a "legitimate" High School/some college is preferred. Industry standards ARE changing. If you want the better jobs, the more education, the better. The days of this business being a refuge for the "drop outs" is rapidly coming to a close. we pay 70-80K a year for 5 days a week, with full benefits, but with haz mat, we want people that at least have a basic education.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. V8power

V8power Bobtail Member

Dec 23, 2012

LOL
    Yes, I have -basic- math skills.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Miller Transporters - 10th grade education; that's on their website.

Driver Qualifications

• Must be at least 21 years of age if married; If under 23 years of age, must be married.
    • Must have at least a 10th grade education.
    • Must be able, either by training or experience, to safely operate a tractor/trailer unit.
    • Must pass D.O.T. physical, drug and alcohol test.
    • Must have a valid Class A Commercial Drivers License with Tank Truck and Hazardous materials Endorsements.
    • No more than three (3)violations in three (3) years and no DUI within ten (10) years. No DUI in a commercial motor vehicle regardless of age.
    • Must not have had any major preventable accidents in the past twelve (12) months.
    • Must complete a driver's application form.
    • Must pass a road test.
    • Must complete a written examination.
    • Must meet all Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
    • Must have a valid T.W.I.C. card (Transportation Worker Identification Credential)
    • Must have a valid passport

5. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Good for you cheeseburger..but with lots of employers finishing high school means that you are driven to complete what you start. I meant no offense to those that have a GED..none at all. But in some cases the guy that finished high school WILL get the job over the guy with the GED everything else being equal...simply because the other guy did finish high school.....

6. amiller

amiller Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Maybe it's just how I was raised but "can't" should never be in a man's vocabulary. High School diploma/GED are necessary achievements to show basic education skills. Get your GED, it's very important and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Good luck

manukenyahouston Thanks this.
  7. Arizona..Fats

Arizona..Fats Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Mojave, Ca

You need to be like the little engine that could. Yes, it sounds stupid, but is a good life lesson. The little train trying to make it up the hill. It didn't say.....I can't do it, I have a learning problem....It said, I think I can, I think I can, and never gave up no matter what.

Not to mention i'd be more interested in your driving skills and if your a safe driver when my wife is driving around you, then if you can add or subtract. We have calculators and computers that take care of all that.

8. DoubleNickel 62

DoubleNickel 62 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Well I have a question I am 55 year's old and due to unforeseen circumstances I might have to return to work so I was thinking about getting my cdl I do have some experience on driving truck I was a truck driver in the army I wonder if that would help

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Put your location on your profile so we know the hiring area you live in.
    Yes, get your cdl; plenty of good jobs available. Attend a private cdl school or a trucking company cdl training program.
    You will need original birth certificate and original social security card (not laminated).

10. Ph5120

Ph5120 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2017
    What if your in your 50's and only finished part of high school?
    I can read and write better than most people I know.

If I can drive a automobile for 40 years without an accident or moving violation and no diploma why would you need one to drive a truck?
    I would think these companies would give you an aptitude test instead of relying on some "right of passage" high school diploma or GED.
    I actually know 2 people who graduated high school with a diploma and can not read.

I personally know I am smarter than any high school graduate coming out of school these days.
    And I don't have a diploma or plan on getting one in the near future.
    Any company hiring will see your intelligence by the way you act.
    Do you even need to know mathematics as computers and phone gadgets do it all for you these days anyway.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  11. Ph5120

Ph5120 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2017
    If you joined the military with no diploma why not drive a truck without one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.