Certifying after surgery

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by astright, Jun 9, 2017.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You cannot do the work related to trucking, one good low trailer forcing you to wind landing gear against 52000 pounds of vehicle will dislocate your sternum possibly pernamently.

You are in fact disabled properly. File a claim for SSdI income while you spend about a year off to see if you will have a body to work with or not.

astright Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. astright

astright Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2014
    My thoughts, exactly. Thanks.

4. astright

astright Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Or having the wind smack a trailer door into me. Yeah, I've thought about that. Thanks.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    If you are still smoking there is a very high risk of sternum not fusing. Surgeons often refuse elective surgery to smokers for this very reason. Like any business the doctor strives for a successful surgery. They don't want you returning as a result of failed services. Just like a mechanic does not want to see you back again and again for a same issue
    Good luck

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

Ive been thinking about you and that sternum.

Is it worth it? The original surgery for fixing whatever is going on with the heart which is why they opened you up pretty good. Did they really fix it.

Do you know that you need a year of doing nothing but healing in your easy chair is your most important goal in life for that sternum. Your future depends on it.

7. astright

astright Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Thanks, but, no, not smoking past 4 years. :(

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  8. astright

astright Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Well bless your little pea picking heart for thinking of me. :love2:

Actually, I was having complications (extreme shortness of breath) up until about 6 to 8 weeks ago so I wasn't capable of anything else except the easy chair. An increase of my thyroid meds fixed that, and yes, the heart problem was fixed with the surgery. Three arteries were 100% blocked and one was 99% blocked. Now I have a leg vein replacing those non-functional arteries. So, because of the shortness of breath, I really couldn't have worked but definitely feel better now but now the nonhealing sternum is my concern.

Thanks.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    i would go doctor shopping for one who would install a plate. Does not seem right that no solution has been offered for sternum.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    astright Thanks this.
  10. astright

astright Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Hummmmmm. Interesting. I'll check into that. Thanks.

11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is nothing you and I can offer for a broken sternum. It's bone based. Sometimes a mesh or similar shop job will have to be installed and then wait a year while the bone tries to regenerates into a whole. I tell people who are considering major surgery that requires breaking the sternum to gain access, they will be down at least a year.

I know if they offered me that kind of work require my sternum to be broken, I'll decline. Im very useful where I am and frankly they will have to find another pathway in, probably along the large arteries via the side of the neck.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.