Clutch adjustment frequency

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by sirstealth, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    OTR 2-3 yrs, Off Road once a year.
    You should never need to adjust linkage.
    You should have a tolerance of 7/16" between throw-out bearing and mating surface on the pressure plate. Easy to check by pulling the inspection cover on bell housing.

If your clutch brake doesnt work properly , there is a good chance someone tried to adjust the clutch linkage rather than the pressure plate.
    In that case you would adjust the linkage to where you have a clutch brake at the bottom 1/2" of peddle, then make the proper adjustments to the pressure plate.
    I have only worked on two styles. One has a locking bolt on the flywheel (you have to turn the flywheel to find it) , and the other ( old school) has a large spanner nut.

RockinChair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    If the free play in the pedal exceeds the 2" max allowed.

4. BrockLanders

BrockLanders Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I drive a daycab. Pretty fair deal of stop and go. I like my clutch a little on the tighter side (less free play) and I do mine about every 10-12 mos.

5. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    I thought we were talking about real trucks here! ;)

6. kestrel1

kestrel1 Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    I am having issues with my clutch. I have to press it down pretty much to bottom, then lift it slightly to be able to pop into gear. Pain in ### when at traffic lights, or need to pull away and takes a bit of time to select first. I got it last adjusted around 3 months ago. But I’m a local dump truck driver, doing Asphalt trenching pretty much every day, solid on and off the clutch. It’s a 2016 T880 with 15 speed. Does that sound normal that I need such frequent adjustments

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.