Diary of a Gainey driver

Discussion in 'Superservice' started by longbedGTs, Aug 13, 2008.

1. badman976

badman976 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2010

you should be ok, i took all of 2009 off to try 2 find a different job. it didn't work out so i just came back out otr this January after a year off. and the guy at g rapids terminal who dose the orientation said he was impressed at my driving for some1 who hadn't drove a truck for a year. you'll do fine. that 4day orientation sucks. the good news is they just switched hotels so now you new guys/gals can walk to Denny's McDonald's, pizza hut and arby's subway. when i was in orientation for gts they had us at a hotel in the middle off nowhere and all we could eat was the over price hotel food from the restaurant.

CertifiedSweetie Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CertifiedSweetie

CertifiedSweetie Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    The only thing I don't like is having to catch a greyhound from Pittsburgh to grand rapids. But I have a feeling the orintation is going to be boring but I'll be so happy to finally get back on the road. But I have to remember not to float gears that's my biggest problem.

4. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    Im not badman, but I might be able to help. Take a look in the motor carriers section and youll see a thread by evilcapitalist. He has started a diary about his experience with LCT and updates often. Its a good thread to follow.

LadyTrucker: Badman is right, go by the book and youll be fine on the road test. If hes talking about who I think he is, this guy is a by the book person.
    As far as miles...I switched DMs about 2 weeks ago and since then, Ive been running really good. First week 3200, second week 2450 but this week isnt over yet. If you find youre not getting good miles, dont hesitate to contact Jon(dir of ops) and request a new DM. Good luck!

5. CertifiedSweetie

CertifiedSweetie Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    Thanks for the info. It's good to know if I'm at least not getting good miles I could say something because when I drove for Werner I was written up because I wasn't getting enough miles. But the only other thing im worried about too is log books. I'm used to the paperless logging. I've been going over doing paper logs though.

6. badman976

Jan 5, 2010
    i been told by safety in orientation and and in a safety meeting ( i didn't ask) that when the new trucks come they will have a paperless log system. but there's someone else on this thread that says he asked around and was told there is no plan for a paperless log system. i tend to believe that a paperless log system is coming because why would safety mention it..anyway. when the new trucks come i guess all the speculation will get answered.

7. badman976

Jan 5, 2010
    50 new trucks ordered thats all. i'm sitting here in grand rapids, just left operations building and asked my dm how much longer were gonna run these beat up old kenworths and he informed me they just placed a order for 50 new trucks (internationals prostars) and thats the only order for new trucks that has been placed. i gotta admit i'm a little p!ssed i was hoping this company was gonna start to upgrade. whats 50 new trucks in a fleet of 500 to 600 trucks....

8. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Thats a silly thing to get mad about. Beat up old kenworths? My truck is a 2007, most of the 700s are 2006/2007, most of the 600s are 2004/2005 and most of the 500s are 2002-2004s. Thats NOT that old. At Werner I had a truck that was a 02.

There is only 3 things that matter in the end.

1) Are you getting miles?
    2) Are you getting paychecks on time with all the pay expected?
    3) Is your truck in the shop endlessly?

Yes
    Yes Nope.

No need for a new truck. I dont even want one. I told dispatch put me at the end of the list.

9. badman976

Jan 5, 2010
    did you see that fleet wide message today about the new truck order. i would like to say i might have inspired that. i caught jon urkert(whatever his name is) walking across the lot at the grand rapids terminal today and ask him for a few of his time to ask about the direction of the company and voice my displeasure at the amount times my truck is down and that a need for ezpass and prepass could be useful for the future with csa2010. he answer my questions and asked about my trucks condition and asked if I've been approach by any other companies. i told him yes i was offer a regional container job with jb but i passed because jb reputation with drivers is suspect and i like gts just wish the trucks were in better condition. but he seems most shocked when i told him payroll shorted me on my payroll because they didn't process my toll receipts equaling $480. it was the 480 he was shocked by. i told him we run alot of pa and those tolls are the most expensive. he ended or convo with a hand shake and promise that gts will be moving forward with turning over all the trucks within the next 3 to 5yrs but he wants to look into the ezpass more. and said 480 in tolls is to much. and he walked away. nice guy probably means well but i kinda got that feeling he kinda was shoveling me some b.s. in some of the things he said but i understand somewhat.

10. crc32

crc32 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2010
    North East, Missouri
    I am interested in this company. Only thing is, I can not seem to find an official working web page for them. I've tried GTS, Gainey ect.

11. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

gaineycorp dot com

crc32 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.