Does running hard make any difference?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by NewTrucker7, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Skellr, I agree and I drive that way, with one additional technique. If I'm pretty sure I'll be unloaded ahead of the dispatched time, I'll call or message in and get a new, closer ETA for my next load. The planners set your availability per your dispatched times, so if you let them know you'll be available sooner, you can get any of those loads available in your area. Works for me, in fact, it's made a pretty nice improvement overall.

Randoggin and NewTrucker7 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NewTrucker7

NewTrucker7 Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Ohio
    Do companies let you do this?

4. Randoggin

Randoggin Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Not sure but I would ask my dispatcher...

5. kevin graham

kevin graham Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Osceola pa
    Burn out fast! Ur telling me..lol

6. Gulf

Gulf Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    It's unfortunate in this job "performance" means how long you can hold your bowels and bladder and how long you can be sedentary. Machines would be much better at this. Also good performance is being able to eat while driving, eating very little, or eating fast when stopped. Rant over.

I like to run 600-650 a day in 12-13 hours and take a 12 hour break. On days of unloading and reloading I do whatever I have to do with my schedule to get unloaded and reloaded in a timely manner. Or if I have to do a short load to get set up for a longer one I'll run overnight or do whatever it takes to get on a long load where I can plan my schedule and live better.

But I'm not at a mega, as others have said have to prove yourself. Run as hard as possible while being safe.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  7. Gulf

Gulf Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Right very different if you're local or even getting home every one or two weeks. Those of us that stay out a month at a time need to think about pacing ourselves over those four weeks. After 10-15 years of doing this burnout, mind rot, social depravation, etc can become factors if you basically live like a machine for 30 days at a time.

8. Gulf

Gulf Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    All this being said, the importation of drivers from all over the world changes the equation. Before long we'll all have to run as hard as hell, all the time. Forget about health and well being. U.S truck drivers in the past never thought about these things and pretty soon we will have to take on the same attitude just to keep a job or survive.

We will be competing for our job with every other truck driver in the world.

9. k1221n2

k1221n2 Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Moosetek what do you mean by lazy, 2500 miles a week or less ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.