Does this actually happen?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Midnightrider909, Jun 1, 2018.

1. jimbo47

jimbo47 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2013
    southern MB
    was a European company,,still on the go

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Most recruiters won't disclose much of anything. I posted on this forum looking for any information. No one replied. Should I flag a truck down on the interstate?

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  4. jodyj54

jodyj54 Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2018
    I never work for a company that has more than a one day orientation-long enough to get drug test back. Any longer tells me they are going to be full of red tape and authoratitave. Thats me, and I know everyone has different views of companies and will put up with more and less. I think companies today have little respect for new hires and see them as desperate-thus dictating this and that. Now, you go back 35-50 years and there was none of this 3-5 day orientation stuff. You went there as a driver and got hired- not being treated like a kid. Drivers were respected and treated better because the companies knew their worth and that they made the money for them.

This stuff I read about getting sent home if your late or fall asleep in class is too much for me and off the deep end. The last 3 day orientation I did was with BoWevil out of Henderson TN way back when, and when the recruiter told us they gave us 30 days probation, I told him "thank you, because I am giving you 2 weeks and if your no good, I'm gettiing rid of you". He stood there speechless to say the least. The point is; they need you and you don't need them. Sounds like desperation if you put up with this treatment and definately not a company I would waste my time on. I am not bragging at all, but the last 2 companies I went to work for, I got there and told them all I need is the keys and the fuel card-thats it, and thats how it worked after a night at the hotel and the drug test came back the next day- I was on the road.

One of the reasons drivers get no respect is because they look like they don't deserve any. When you walk in with shorts, an uncollerd shirt, tennis shoes or flip flops on, and scraggly dirty long hair and unshaven, they feel you are nothing more than a bum looking for a job. Maybe things would be more favorable to new hires if they dressed and looked professional. What does that mean? Take a look at truckstop photos of the late 1960's to early 80's and you will see the difference. Drivers used to be respected and made good money for the time, but the newer generations of drivers and people working in the industry have brought the profession down to a deplorable occupation consistant with treatment.

Getting sent home for reasons posted on here is telling us that they feel they don't need you and are not willing to work with you. Any decent understanding professional recruiter would say; " there is a small problem, but I am sure we can work it out and get you on the road". With sending someone home because they are late-well what would happen if you were late for load or so that was beyond your control? They would probably bring you in and send you home at your own expense. I feel too many drivers do not demand enough from companies today, and they think they have the upper hand over drivers. You need to let them know from day one-even before you get there what you will and will not do, and what you expect from them. You need to get in writing what they will pay you for doing other than driving.

I personally told the last 2 companies before I even when down, that I would do nothing north of Richmond, nothing east of Ohio, no beer, wal-mart, or Aldi loads, no steady diet of food warehouses, no unloading, must be paid for watching any safety video anywhere, and do not allow any shipper/receiver to keep my license. They either accept or keep looking for another driver. Both companies agreed so when things came about-there was no question of where I stood. I can't see why some drivers put up with such treatment when they are on a two way street in the industry-going both ways; not just in the direction of a trucking company. Too many young people in trucking today that have little or no idea of how it really operates, and especially someone in recruiting that has never been in a truck in their life. I can only speak for myself, that I don't put up with any of the things I have read about that have been thrown at drivers-old and new from companies. I have walked out of more than one company telling them "there must be a decent company out here somewhere"; and have always kept the 'back door' open.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  5. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    I guess it does actually happen. I know my company gives bus ticket or the equivalent amount of that bus ticket for any drivers return home. That’s even if safety fires them for some reason. Been here for years and have never seen a driver abandoned.

6. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    The megas play these games, it's nothing new. The question is why would somebody get on a bus to somewhere hundreds of miles away without any money?? You can't gather a few hundred dollars for expenses? Even if you get hired you'll need money on the road until the first payday.

Odin's Rabid Dog and superflow Thank this.
  7. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I refuse to take an advance. I don't want them thinking I'm needy.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  8. jodyj54

jodyj54 Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2018
    I would always get a 200 dollar advance the first of every week even though I did not need it. The reason is; I worked for 2 companies that went out of business while I was on the road in their truck, and I knew I would at least have that 200 if they failed to pay for the last check. One was Carretta, and when I got to Paramus and the bank was there reposessing trucks, I had to find my own way back to Ohio, so I had the 200 and did not have to worry.

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  9. jon69

jon69 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2018
    I only quoted part of it but your whole post is a work of art: I agree 100% about everything you said. These unhappy people working for companies they dont like yet they dont have what it takes to lay down the law or walk out. This is what I want, this is how its going to be or I walk.

As far as appearances, back in the 80s there was a company who had their drivers wear ties. Anyone remember? I want to say Schneider but dont quote me on that.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Reason for edit: edited
  10. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014

Wish there were more drivers with this kind of "good 'ole fashion American additude"
    It's a shame most drivers have become such sissified little girls , maybe it's all the dumming down & brain washing going on in this industry ,it could possibly be the effects of sleep deprivation or unexperienced drivers just trying to learn the ropes......idk

11. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    The PSP, DAC, insurance companies and government regs have castrated most of us.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.