Don't Kill Yourself Repairing Company Equipment.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by LetsGoBrandon$, May 26, 2023.

1. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho

I hope you ment 1,000,000... Because I get more than 100,000 out of virgin rubber all the time, an probably about that out of retreated trailer tires. But I dont think tires should be retreaded more than once, MAYBE twice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The_vett

The_vett Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2021
    So Cal / PNW mostly
    I am not saying this is for sure , but I think the military does run solid rubber tires in some cases.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I'm confident that with our brilliant ideas combined, we can solve this tire crisis.

I was reading another thread about tire vandalism, and it's possible that your tire was sabotaged by the Salvation Army, PETA, or Toys For Tots.

5. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Got to say, never seen anyone do it that way. I had an issue like that once on a drive tire on the truck. Was able to get it on a block and put a board under the tire and wiggle the board a little (almost effortlessly) to get it back to set the bead to take air. I don't know if you had the straps too tight, or maybe it had nothing to do with the straps at all why it blew like it did. I had one blow on the trailer on me two weeks ago when I hit a pothole. I imagine it was running low on air from something prior to hitting the pothole that made it blow the inside sidewall out. It was also a recap tire, which was only maybe 1 month old. The "blow" I heard was so faint when it happened at 70mph on I-70 in Illinois that I thought I blew another heater hose on my truck. Didn't even know the inside sidewall blew until I limped it to the truck stop (I was 3 miles from it and stopping there for my break anyway) and tried to put air in the tire. Couldn't tell immediately anything was wrong with the tire besides it being flat.

6. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    A can of stating fluid and a book of matchs is the easiest way to bead the tire back up.. you just need to be quick with the air hose once it beads

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2023
    Bean Jr., FerrissWheel, Coffey and 5 others Thank this.
  7. LetsGoBrandon$

LetsGoBrandon$ Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2021
    I actually had a can of starting fluid in the truck but I am too big of a puss to do that. I tried one strap right in the middle of the tire to start with and that wasn't enough so I used two and put them on the edges. That seemed to work well enough and is probably a bit safer. I wouldn't recommend anyone try to reseat a bead with starter fluid at the fuel island lol.

Here's a picture of the sidewall on the tire

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Are they solid, or the Tweel type that? [​IMG]
    I would think that these would be the way to go in an environment in which flats are unavoidable. I can't imagine them working out in an on road application though.

9. LetsGoBrandon$

LetsGoBrandon$ Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2021
    Trailers used to have springs before airbags. Then someone invented auto inflation. I don't know why someone can't come up with a better tire to?

FerrissWheel and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    When I drove in Iraq, the military had run flat tires on some of the Humvees. I think those tires had a solid rubber inner band. But "run flat" didn't mean that they could just keep going indefinitely. After 20 or so miles running in that heat with the weight of those Humvees, the tires would be shredded.

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    In your original post you complained of retread trailer tires but then all the pics you posted are of virgin Bridgestone R123 tires. There’s really no need to reinvent the tire because you had an issue with a tire that someone had run flat long enough for the bead to unseat. Also sometimes when a sidewall blows like that it’s because of previous damage like curbing it or having the inside of the sidewall damaged from a puncture.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.