DOT physical question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Jun 20, 2020.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I had a completely bloodwork done couple months ago. I'm overweight somewhat. Was told cholesterol is a little high but nothing to worry about.

I went in for a very bad bloody nose. BP was high. I gave up smoking and started a low dosage pill. But darn if my muscles aren't getting stiff now. I can't do much of anything anymore without stiffness and aching back.

Yesterday I had a bad morning and smoked a couple. Darn if I didn't feel good again. I was able to get my garage somewhat situated from moving in. Couldn't do that with no smokes.

Now I have a dilemma. Low blood pressure or working muscles.

Rideandrepair and PE_T Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    Commuter69, the simple answer is to find a primary doctor/nurse practioner/PA who is covered by your insurance who ALSO gives CDL medical exams.

They will know your medical treatment history, and if you're doing what theyre telling you to do, will give you a 1 year Medical card.

I take pills to control my diabetes, and have no problems getting my Medical card renewed.

The only disqualifying condition with Diabetes is using insulin. If a driver is taking ANY medications for ANY condition/disease/whatever, they can only get a 1 year card (or less). Big deal, so what?

If you choose to drive for a company who doesn't let you renew your Medical card with the doctor of YOUR choice, then thats on you. Choose a better place to work.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Rideandrepair and PE_T Thank this.
  4. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I’ll be the first to admit, it’s #### hard to eat right and even harder to get in any kind of regular exercise out here on the open road. About six months ago I was at a shipper that had a huge facility. I watched a guy pull in and back his truck in and climb out of his truck in running clothes. He proceeded to run lap after lap after lap for probably an hour around that entire facility. I’m guesstimating probably 8-10 miles in the 90 minutes he was there. The guy was in shape. After he finished running I went up and talked to him. He told me he completely transformed himself while being out on the road. He was 100 pounds overweight two years ago and decided to make changes. He showed me some dumbbells he had on the truck that you can adjust the weight by clicking a switch on them. He said he literally does sets with dumbbells when he’s in the fuel while standing in front of his truck. He told me he completely transformed himself while being out on the road.

My point is, if you have the will, there’s a way. This guy took it to extremes, for most of us, just eating clean and walking 4-5 days a week is suffice.

Rideandrepair, PE_T and staceydude Thank this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

That guy is crazier than me. I also carry adjustable dumbbell weights (105 lbs total) and an adjustable workout bench in my truck. I work out my entire body in almost 2.5 hrs that I do once every 7-14 days, although I’ve learned it’s better to keep it at every 7-10 days to see some muscle growth every time I work out. It’s very doable.

I used this site to get started with my workouts (at least 2 different workouts per muscle group; 6 muscles groups in total in my view). I’ve also replaced some of my workouts with better ones by watching some YouTube videos from Athlean-X and others.

Best Dumbbell Exercises - dumbbell-exercises.com

Edit—

I forgot to say that likely the best adjustable dumbbell weights in the market are the PowerBlock dumbbells. I have the Bowflex dumbbells, and they’re not durable at all.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Rideandrepair and staceydude Thank this.
  6. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Big chunk of my family has that too. It’s our diet. Knock the soda and greasy food off your diet and you’ll probably lose your type 2 if you caught it early.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Sugar and carbs will spike someones blood sugar. Don't eat them and weawe cured of type 2 diabetes ! People can say it's managed if you want it the same thing. If we eat the food that creates diabetes then it will come back. Because that's how we got it the first place. It's amazing sugar is in everything. To make it taste better so we buy it.

They do make sugar free soda like ZEVIA it sweet and no sugar and no carbs no sodium. We can buy mayonnaise, the regular stuff is made with sugars and cheap oils we all know had bad that is to eat. We can buy good heathly mayonnaise made with Avocado Oil and no sugars like Primal kitchen or Sir Kensington. I been doing the same as others trying to heathly real food without sugars and carb. I even checked my blood sugars it does make a difference what we eat. We can control out blood sugars if we eat real food.

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I've noticed that a lot of low-fat stuff, salad dressing for example, is higher in carbs than the regular stuff. The fat they take out was part of what makes the products taste decent so they put sugar in to try to make up for it. I read a lot of labels but I stay away from the sugar by doing so.

9. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    I am not a nut job spewing nonsense over the internet. I know first hand type 2 diabetes is reversed by eating right and excersizing. Any medical doctor will tell you that.

10. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    You nailed it exactly. Sadly though, most don’t want the truth. They want to eat what they want, as much as they want, and have no consequences to their actions.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Type 2 is becoming so common, more and more people are taking insulin for it, instead of just pills. My Daughter has type 1. Its incurable, for now anyway. There are a few cases of experimental Inslet cell, and even pancreas transplants. Along with anti rejection drugs. But very rare. The Ignorance of the Disease is frustrating. But can’t blame anyone. Until it affects you, not really a concern. Just don’t give Diabetics advice, like cinnamon is a cure. Very frustrating to hear comments like that.Im hoping for a cure. It’s a daily thing, taking insulin, checking blood sugar. Terrible Diseaes, not to be taken likely.

PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.