Driver-facing camera test

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tarmadilo, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I’m shopping a few new insurance companies prior to renewal and the leading prospect told us yesterday that they dont require forward facing yet but highly encourage it. Next step I’m sure is require it. I’m sure they already would have but their cost analysis probably shows a loss right now as they would lose a lot of business. I never did understand the driver facing ones. I’ll sell out before that happens in one of my trucks. The forward facing I sort of can understand.

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gambino1994

Gambino1994 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    causing a situation
    To keep things even, if there are driver facing cameras in trucks, then there needs to be pilot facing cameras in commercial airplanes and engineer facing cameras in all train engines but those two industries have yet to be ok with cameras

4. Gambino1994

Gambino1994 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    causing a situation
    13B6A683-2B98-48D5-9FA4-AF81010111ED.jpeg

5. unfortunately CSA 2010 was such a game-changer it truly showed how Trucking officially hit rock bottom and what these idiots manage to do on a short. Of time from 2004 on in less than 5 years..all you have to do if you've been out here more than 15 or 20 years of simply ask yourself how did she CSA 2010 become a reality

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you are lucky that you had no event that would have triggered the camera. by the way, the camera from what i was told, the cameras are ON, but are not being watched, but ARE recording things and constanlty "erasing the video" every few seconds, and the triggering takes place at the event, and only then, did it "capture the few moments leading up to that event", and beyond for x amount of time......

had you had an event and the sock was covering the camera, they would have seen that it was covered......and asked you about it.

i strongly suggest that you and anyone else, do not play any games with the company property, that CAN BE just cause for firing.....then explain THAT to a new employer, how you covered up the cameras.

so you really didn't "win" at anything......

MartinFromBC and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    My only concern is that they stop recording inside when the brake is set, even then I guess I really dont care, If there brave enough to watch into a parked sleeper, Well I really don't care, The trucks i am currently driving that have sleepers have cab curtains that cover the camera anyway. There's bigger issues IMHO.

I did have a roll over in december 2013 and the camera backed me up, that was not sleeping, messing with a electronic device, but simply reacting to a mechanical failure. I can not disclose much but the camera helped my case, not the employer's case. The chip even showed they did nothing to the truck an hour before when they claimed to have repaired the issue causing the vibration. Hmmm all in all don't really mind the camera.

MartinFromBC, tarmadilo and buddyd157 Thank this.
  8. WVDriver24

WVDriver24 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2019
    These camera systems record 100% of the time. As long as there is power in the battery, these cameras record. These companies can request any block of time they want for review. I have seen this 1st hand and its all subject to the person with control issues on the other end. Yes it can protect the driver and the company, but it can also be used against you.

Driver beware!

9. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    No need, I wear mine 24/7.

Hammer166 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well aside from the person above that it helped him with his rollover accident, which I'm glad it did, these things are not there to benefit the driver.

It's like for police with body cameras. Those cameras aren't there to capture them doing the right thing. Those cameras are there waiting for them to do the wrong thing so that that wrong thing is going to be immortalized forever and if they really did the wrong thing could end their career.

Those cameras facing inward are there for one reason. That reason is to see if that driver is doing anything wrong. Did you happen to sneeze when someone crashed into you? Maybe that ends your career. Did you move one hand to scratch your left butt cheek as someone moved into your lane. The evidence shows it's your fault driver you're fired.

This whole industry since the CDL began, is about stripping drivers of the rights in the name of safety. There is no group of people in the United States that have been singled out like drivers. Drivers are not only responsible for what they do as they are working, they also are regulated during their non-working hours. I don't know of any other industry that does that. And if there is one, most likely they compensate their people for that. Drivers are not compensated whatsoever for any of this.

Outward facing cameras are probably okay. That would probably help because instead of watching the driver to see if he changed the radio station or adjusted his Heat, you can actually have the common sense to watch traffic all around you and see how the truck is interacting with that. That makes a lot more sense.

Myself, I think inward-facing cameras violate your privacy and violate your rights. But then again, I think that if a company calls you on your day off and forces you to go for a drug test or you lose your job and probably can't get another one, I think that is also a violation of your rights. It goes on and on. It will only get worse as time and technology advance.

One thing I can tell you. There is nobody in the corner for the driver or for the owner operator.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Your correct the company owned camera is not your friend, but you can have your own also, most companies will not give you a copy of the video.

Generally speaking cops and cameras are there to hang the driver.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.