Driver Facing Cameras?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TylerHarris96, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    The only cameras in my truck are my own. If the company doesn't trust me to do my job like a professional, then I don't need to work for them.

And even Swift stopped using them because it makes getting insurance settlements a real #####.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I have long been an opponent of driver facing cameras.

However, I now have one. I fought against it as long as I could, but the fact of the matter is I enjoy the carrier I work with too much to leave (and the paychecks don't hurt, either!)

Since I got this camera (Lytx), I have had ZERO issues with it. I ignore the camera, and it ignores me.

We DID have a driver saved by his camera a couple of months ago. A motorcycle hit the Jersey Barrier ahead of our driver. Our driver saw the accident and brought his truck to a safe, straight stop without even coming close to the motorcycle. The motorcycle rider IMMEDIATELY blamed our driver for his screwups, but the forward facing footage proved our driver's claim of not being involved in the motorcycle's accident.

Later, the motorcycle's lawyer tried to come after the driver in civil court for being distracted. Once again, the camera saved the day. This time, it was the driver facing side. Video proved the driver was doing his job, no cell phone in hand or other distractions. The judge watched the video, and tossed the case out. I believe the judge also censured the lawyer for trying to bring the case.

There is a valid case for driver facing cameras in a society as litigious as ours. Anything that saves your tail feathers from losing EVERYTHING due to someone else's greed and stupidity can't be completely bad, yeah?

loudtom and snowlauncher Thank this.
  4. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    Are their any owner operators that have these driver facing cameras?
    Or is it just the company guys? Where I am if you are in their lease purchase truck you have a two way camera but you can cover the driver facing camera. They charge a weekly fee for it. Yea I know.

5. TylerHarris96

TylerHarris96 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2018
    That's terrible. Company completely disrespects him and the event he went through

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  6. Colt6920

Colt6920 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Dash cam is great. Driver cam, no. Much more likely that it catches the driver doing something improper and allows the opposing side to win.
    Also in that second case dash cam evidence would have been plenty.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  7. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    Ok no fan of driver cams, had one when i was a company guy. Now have my Garman. I just wouldn't want any owner operator carriers to require that. If it is your truck you should have your choice. Yes there is a ton of info where a drive cam isn't necessary. Yes it can help, but it is in your face and it isn't pleasant.

8. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Deal breaker for me. It ever becomes mandatory I’ll walk away for good

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Based on exactly what evidence what the distracted driving lawsuit filed?

The plaintiff has the burden of proof.

10. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    This story makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Mostly the part about the attorney being censured. I would like to see these types of lawyers barred from practice. @MACK E-6 you are correct, the burden of proof is on the plaintiff, but this camera footage saved a lot of courtroom hassles and quickly cleared the driver of any charges filed. I think that as word spreads and more trucks get these cameras the less likely it will be for the sue-happy public and these slip and fall lawyers to bring a case against a professional driver in a non-preventable.
    The whole thing is a double edged sword.

brsims Thanks this.
  11. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Civil case, so burden of proof is greatly lessened. Basically, plaintiff's attorney said everyone drives distracted so our driver must've been distracted too.

What I want to know is why the plaintiff or his attorney thought they would stand a chance in civil court AFTER our driver had been completely cleared of ANY degree of fault during the original and follow up investigations..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.