Driver Facing Cameras?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TylerHarris96, Sep 7, 2018.

1. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I fully intend to put a driver facing camera in MY truck immediately after purchase. Managed by a reputable third party like Lytx. Subscription cost is only like $20 or $30 a month. Cheap additional insurance plus it supposedly discounts your other insurance. As a starting O/O, I'm looking for where to invest my capital for best long term advantages.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I'm playing devil's advocate on both sides of this issue, but I cant help speculating.
    What if this driver were caught on camera adjusting the radio, smoking, eating a sandwich, or sipping coffee?
    Would he still have been cleared of the charges? I feel like the answer would be no...

4. LoSt_AgAiN

LoSt_AgAiN Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
  5. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Then the civil case would most likely have gone forward without the happy ending.

Driver facing cameras are, as has been pointed out by another member, a two edged sword. But the potential of saving your tail feathers cannot be ignored.

Personally, I still believe that the prescence of a driver facing camera should be a driver's choice, be that driver a company driver, O/O, lease operator, or IC.

My own mind has been changed concerning them. But there is still the potential for a massive amount of abuse, as well.

6. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I always said I would never take a job with a driver facing camera, because it constituted a major invasion of my privacy (married couple driving team).

Then along came a job that paid $20,000 per driver more than the one we had, gets me home way more often and for longer. So every time I set the stupid thing off pinning up or whatever I always give a wave and holler “HEY ______!!” to my safety director.

The only difference for us is that the curtains are always pulled now when stopped to prevent the camera from picking up anything I wouldn’t want floating around out there if someone backs/drives into the truck when parked.

7. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    As an O/O it’s not a bad idea. But as a company driver, it’s just basically another tool of micromanagement or harassment

brsims Thanks this.
  8. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    It's got it's ups and downs. I would have my own. Not someone else's camera on me.

9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Get used to it buddy its the thing of the future in some industries such as fuel hauling these days camera's are standard the thing is the camera's only film at random or if a driver were to nod off while driving it sets an alarm and will start the camera rolling I've had it go off just from yawning or if you happen to be looking out the side window instead of straight ahead. After a while you don't even notice its there. or you get inventive and smile for the camera, make funny faces talk to it make it your friend tell it your inner most secrets you'll have a ball and the camera will become your bestest buddy.

10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Everything you just said that sets it off are all reasons to never have one. They would have a hay day with you if there was a video of you yawning just before having an accident.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    That would be the day I quit ! Nothing to hide it’s the principle of it.

DTP Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.