Driver Facing Cameras?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TylerHarris96, Sep 7, 2018.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Any company that doesn’t trust me to drive the truck without a camera in my face can go #### in its collective hat as far as I’m concerned. :cool:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    3rd party companies monitor the camera events before flagging them for your company safety dept. I am sure these minimum wage workers save and distribute anything that would make their coworkers laugh. It’s like Big Brother is always watching but you’re being watched by millennial twats.

stwik Thanks this.
  4. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I think you will be seeing more of this in the coming years and it's not the company's that want it, but their insurance companies.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  5. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    There are cameras already in the office. And they can be hacked as any camera can.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  6. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
  7. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Friend of mines son works for one of the big carrirers,does local P+D. They put cameras in their trucks facing out and in. They told him the driver facing cameras were for just there for emergencies,ignore them. The day after the cameras were installed,he was called in the office and reprimanded for smoking in the truck. So much for emergencies.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  8. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    As drivers, we talk a big game about being professional. But as soon as a method for accountability is introduced, lots of people cry foul. Just like police body cameras, these things will exonerate you if you're doing your job how you're supposed to. How can there be an expectation of privacy while you're in public while on the job?

9. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia

I would say part of what owner operators or many truckers want is freedom to not be watched over their shoulder all the time.
    The last camera I had as a company driver would record of you touched the line twice in a 30 second period. It would often go off because the lane departure camera would not be on track correctly. I wasn't a fan of that but now I'm an owner so no more if that.
    You have some couples who run together and say your wife is getting up not fully dressed and now the camera goes off on you. People don't like that. People want to be people and not feel like robots. Besides with the technology to detect your speed, when you touched the brakes, what gear you are in and your dash cam which probably has audio, someone who is going to no tell the truth probably would get caught with all this any way. With police investigation of your phone and so forth. Just be honest and don't lie and we probably would never have had to go to this point.

10. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Fortunately, Volvos have great sun visors. Block the view. Darn shame.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.