Driver-made bulkheads

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by IluvCATS, Nov 25, 2017.

1. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    And there we go.

Tug Toy and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    This. I'd never trust a bulkhead unless the load was up against it from the beginning. Once a heavy load gets moving, a bulkhead is probably not gonna do much.

bigguns, Joetro and spyder7723 Thank this.
  4. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    That. Right there. That's how its properly done. Wish some of the yahoos I loaded with in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham had someone to show them how to do it right. @Tug Toy knows what he's about.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
  6. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    I hauled bar for quite a few years. We had light bulkheads we used. A lot of the outside carrier highway trucks made up their own from extra 4x4's in front of the load. I found oiled hex bar to be the worst. Most of our cold rolled bar was 12' long and 4000lbs bundles. Any round bar under an inch would flex together and pinch tight when you chained it. Hex was strong enough to not pinch together and bars in the centre of the bundle would sometimes start walking out of the bundle. The bulkhead stopped that.

nightgunner, bigguns and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Sorry not my equipment. Saw it and snapped a pic thinking I could make something up sometime?

In my opinion rear bulkheads aren't nessasary other than holding something from vibrating out.

Front bulkheads are the important ones. Has to be up against the material or it's just garbage on the deck. Personally I don't even think the donnage is much help bet having the chain at the right height dose the best job.

I keep the dinnage on the front of my trailer for convenience not safety.

Broke Down 69 Thanks this.
  8. Slavi

Slavi Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Watch this video......It sums up this thread perfectly

9. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Was there anything worth while? I saw that car pass him, said yup, that car doesnt realize the lane is ending and will come back over. Sure enough..... hard brake.

The driver was at fault, there were many signs that that car was not getting off.

10. Slavi

Slavi Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Right around the 4 minute mark he shows you that his load shifted because of the hard brake and broke through his 4x4 timber bulked. If the bulkhead wast there it could have been a lot worse

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  11. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

If he would have seen the car was STILL sitting on the off ranp taking their time to exit, he would have realized.... they probably arent going to exit.

I know, this isnt about the car or the driver. Its about the bulkhead....

But! That hard brake was absolutely avoidable.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.