Driver pay

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Bret1984, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Bret1984

Bret1984 Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    Well mate, you can call me whatever you want but not everyone appreciates the Swift roadblock while 2 governed trucks are backing up traffic having a race to see who has the fastest 62mph. Some of us actually want to make some money.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
  4. Bret1984

Bret1984 Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    A study on truck driver pay? How many millions are they going to spend on doing what I'm doing here for free? The "tires ain't turning, you ain't earnin" is all good and well until you're stuck in traffic, weather or held up at a customer location. Why don't they just give us half of the money that they plan to devote to this year long study and just have us tell them the answers? Although they'd get the answers for free if they just simply asked. When will they start asking the drivers instead of the CEO's of the megafleets? When will the ATA stop being the sole go to voice for the industry while anything from anyone representing drivers falls on deaf ears? When will the focus shift to retention as opposed to recruiting efforts? As another commenter on this thread said When a bucket is this leaky simply turning up the faucet does little good. The ATA represents corporations whose shareholders demand maximum productivity for minimum labor costs. They satisfy their shareholders by hiring primarily new drivers that they can pay by the mile then they keep them out on the road for weeks or even months at a time and just burn them out on the road. Then when the new driver burned out after not seeing his/her family for weeks where he/she has been confined to what has become a rolling prison cell finally looks over their logs, looks at their last paycheck, takes out their calculator and realizes that they didn't even make minimum wage they quit! Who could blame them? Until that gets addressed, until the government figures out that the ATA isn't actually complaining about a lack of qualified drivers but rather a lack of cheap labor to exploit all of their studies are just a waste of taxpayer money and resources.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  5. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    As for the discussion on who gets paid at the dock & needs to change jobs, everyone has to weigh his overall options. Just like taking a job based on the truck they give you is a bad idea, so is every other singled out option.
    To answer the question above (not calling out China... just making an over all observation), First Fleet for example doesn't pay wait time for anything including dock or break down until after 2 1/2 hrs. Then you get paid for any time after that. Yeah it sucks. But otherwise, its a decent company. It sucks, I hate it & I don't really think its right but, that in itself is not enough to make me give up the rest of the story to go somewhere else.
    No place is perfect. There's gonna be an issue of some sort, anywhere you go. It may not be this issue...... but there will be an issue somewhere. Jumping jobs over single issues is no good.

In all honesty, I don't think I have ever worked for a company that paid wait time for anything.... except the absolute worst company I ever worked for ... Waste Management.... and that was because they paid hourly for all time on the clock regardless.

I'm not taking sides on either opinion here. I'm just saying I think they need to pay but some places don't, & I might go as far to say a lot of places don't, pay for immediate (or reasonable) wait time.
    I think companies should pay stop pay. I mean, in reality, being paid by the mile, your not getting anything for your time at the shipper/receiver. You work that time, you're required to be there, you're required to perform a service, I can't go down to Wendy's for a burger, I gotta stay right there with the truck & load & do what is required by the company... but I don't get paid for it.
    In the end, its the way the trucking industry works. Take it or leave it. Its just the way it is.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I worked for First Fleet for about 3 or 4 months and the pay was awful.
    Went to a tanker company and my weekly pay more than doubled.
    Many of the drivers there had been there a long time and were content. I had bigger goals and couldn't achieve those without more pay.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  7. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    To be fair, that's the way the trucking industry works because we have allowed it. I've gotten paid for all my time since 2007.

8. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    I got a call from the manager at Enterprise who was recruiting to haul oil in the Permian basin last week. $17/hour and 20% of the load pay.
    "I'd like to see the load pay sheet"
    "Well, those are confidential, if you want to see that you have to come to my office"
    "Riiiiiight. No thanks"
    This same company is making it mandatory for drivers to work one week a month in a field 300 miles away because they can't recruit with mystery percentage pay, no delay pay, and barely above fast food hourly pay.

9. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca

10. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    The only issue I have with driver pay is I want more! Unfortunately, we are all paid exactly what we are worth to the company. Some are worth more, a lot are worth less. I had to work today. I only worked 6 hours today but I have a guarantee of 8 hours. Total pay for the day was $565.92. Sunday is double time pay for us. You folks choose to work for substandard pay! You perpetuate the problem!

11. Turbodriven

Turbodriven Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2021
    If you dont mind me asking who are you working for that pays 35/h and double time on Sundays??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.