Driver Unaware of Accident?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by TALHouston, Mar 9, 2007.

1. TALHouston

TALHouston Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2007
    In your experience, is it possible for the driver of a large truck to be involved in an accident (either hit a car or be hit by a car) and not immediately realize that it happened? Thanks for your input...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. yevgeniyv.1980

yevgeniyv.1980 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Poconos,PA
    Yes its possible.Car hits You at the back of the trailer You dont see/feel it,drive and then its hit&run.Thats the worst I could think of.
    Also can hit the mirrow in the car and not even realize that.

4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    There are lots of scenarios, most involving tires, that come to mind. The bottomm line is that any time you notice something abnormal, you should make an effort to check out what caused it.

AJ

5. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Where would one begin to explain? the answer to your question is yes it is more then possible for a truck to be in an accident and not even know about it.. Noise of the truck pretty much covers a lot up far as sound, impact could feel like a bump in the road if felt at all. You have to put weight into perspective.. Take a 290lbs NFL Football player and line him up with a 120lbs girl.. Do you think the football player is going to feel much resistance?

6. Lil'Devil

Lil'Devil Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Great White North
    Yes I had it happen to me, I was going through the toll booth on the NY thruway and a pick up truck squeezed up beside me and hit his mirror on my trailer, I didn't realize what happened and a few miles up the road I got pulled over, nothing ever came out of it though

Just remember that you should never leave the scene of an accident, no matter how minor it is, it is still a hit and run if you leave,

7. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

It can happen, and may have happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was going to Omaha on a Friday afternoon, and coming through Council Bluffs Ia (about 8 miles from delivery) I had a car come up onto the highway at a merge. Traffic was about what you would expect for Friday 4:30 pm, and I had a car alongside of me preventing me from moving over a lane. I saw the car merging was going to come in behind me, and the last time I looked in my RH mirror it was about 3/4 of the way back along my trailer. I had the window down and heard a tire screeching sound and started looking for someone braking, and looked in the drivers mirror and saw the merging car whip over a lane and spin off into the median. I figured that he had tried to make a lane change too quickly and lost control.

I made the delivery and got back on the road. Next morning when I walked around the truck, I saw a possible scrape mark on the rubber of one rear trailer tire, maybe 1/4 of the diameter. Possibly I scraped a curb at Kelloggs while maneuvering around, or possibly that car somehow contacted my truck without me knowing it.

Was there an accident? I can't tell for sure and didn't notice anything until well into the next day. If there was, the fault rests with the person who had the responsibility to merge properly and didn't do so. All I saw was a car lose control, and that is something you see more often than most people realize.

Bottom line, a mild brush from a car would not upset a loaded semi and could easily happen without the driver knowing about it.

8. whispers65233

whispers65233 Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Boonville, MO
    Most definitely. I hate to admit it but many years ago in NJ on
    route 1 I had to swerve because an idiot in another car tried to make a lane in between me and the other car in the fast lane I didn't realize the truck in front of me had stop (yes I know how can one not see a big truck stopped in front of you). I had a WindStar at the time and my front end went under the back of his trailer. He didn't feel a thing. He started up and went on his way. It was like a flea hitting the back of an elephant. I tried to get up to him to wave him over to tell him what had happened but traffic was so bad he got ahead of me and was gone. There was no damage to his trailer. Thank God. It was my fault and I didn't want him to get into trouble.

9. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

I had a similar scrape on one of my tires last year. It had me scratching my head for a couple days, as I was certain I had not hit an curbs recently.

Another time a long time ago before I had a CDL I was pulling a stock trailer with my pickup. Road construction was coming up and the morons in a 4 wheeler beside me were so blind to the fact that one lane was closing they dove side ways into the double wheel axle assembly on the trailer. I saw them out of the corner of my eye in the mirror, but NEVER felt a thing. They never stopped and so I didn't either. Probably not the right thing for me to do, but they were at fault and didn't stop. They had an expensive fix to their car for their stupidity.
    Once I got out and looked at the trailer there was no damage and a small rub mark on the tire side wall.

10. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

By the way, I am sure that if someone were to ask the driver of the car that was involved with whatever happened, his story would be that he was making a merge, a large truck refused to yield to him at all, and then forced him into a collision by aggressive driving. And then the evil trucker continued on his way as if nothing happened, last seen heading west to wreak havoc on other unsuspecting drivers.

In actuality, the truck was driving at completely legal speeds, in the flow of traffic, and was prevented from making a lane change by other traffic. The truck held it's speed with no changes so the car driver could maneuver into the flow of traffic, and the driver was fully aware of the merging traffic in his vicinity.

The story probably changes greatly depending on who is telling it.

11. joettanne

joettanne Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh yes, you can easily hit a car or anything else and not notice. Many years ago while I was backing up, I was watching out of my left mirror. When I looked out of the right mirror, I noticed a red car stuck to the back bumper. The little car was backing up as well and backed in behind me. I never felt a thing. I pushed the car back about 3 or 4 feet before I noticed it. And I always back up slowly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.