ELD question!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kspin6, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    It seems counterintuitive in this age where the FMCSA seems to regulate how many times you can fart while on duty! However, the mudflap rules are left up to the states.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    The officer was in error, there is no requirement to draw lines between duty status, only lines between times are required. In other words no vertical lines required, only horizontal.

4. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    OK, then tell me please, back when drivers used paper logs how did they log a change of duty status? I know of no other way to do so! If you do please enlighten me!

5. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    I was referencing paper logs. Most of us drew lines up and down for duty status change. However, it has NEVER been required to do so. Logs look funny when lines were drawn between time markers and not between duty statuses, but legal and not required. Officer erred.

6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    OK, then I was still in violation of 395.8 (f)(1) because I had NO horizontal lines in line 3!

7. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Sorry, still no violation as long as you showed the location where the change occurred. No vertical line necessary.

8. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia

BS. There is NO DOT cop anywhere in the US going to let a driver by with being 200+ miles away from their starting point with nothing in line 3. There may be no legal requirement to draw that vertical line BUT a driver must have established they are on duty driving! Sorry, now you are making a silly argument for the sake of being argumentative and I am NOT playing that game any longer! Have a great day! @brian991219 might want to continue this, but with you on this topic, I am finished!

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Good, because this is yet another example of you being wrong but refusing to see it.
    As to how to indicate a duty change, simply follow the law and finish the line off of the previous duty status and simply put a dot on the duty status you are switching to. Or nothing as the regulations state.
    Sorry you don't like the answer, but it's the correct answer. As I like to harp on. "An officer not knowing the law, does not a regulation make."

Question 13: Are drivers required to draw continuous lines between the off-duty, sleeper berth, driving, and on-duty (not driving) lines on a record of duty status when changing their duty status?

Guidance:
    No. Under §395.8(h) the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) require that continuous lines be drawn between the appropriate time markers within each duty status line, but they do not require that continuous lines be drawn between the appropriate duty status lines when drivers change their duty status.

10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I'm going to ask you this simple question. First I have acknowledged there is no legal requirement to draw a verticle line. I also know about that guidance. My question is a simple one. You are 200 miles away from Dallas Texas and stopped. How do you show that DOT officer you are legally driving in 100% compliance with 395.8 (f)(1) because that rule is VERY specific! Of course, this is academic because of E-Logs, but back then how did you do it? You MUST have something in line 3, right?

11. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Wasn’t trying to make an argument, just saying the officer erred if he took exception to your not making a line from 4 to 3 because it’s not required. All that’s required is that you draw a line between the times in line 4, show the location and that’s it. You certainly can, and most do draw the line to 3 but if you forget to, it’s not a violation.

Question 13: Are drivers required to draw continuous lines between the off-duty, sleeper berth, driving, and on-duty (not driving) lines on a record of duty status when changing their duty status?

Guidance:

No. Under §395.8(h)the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) require that continuous lines be drawn between the appropriate time markers within each duty status line, but they do not require that continuous lines be drawn between the appropriate duty status lines when drivers change their duty status.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.