Engine oil

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Joglz, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I just sold my 1994 Pete which had a 3406E Cat. I always swore by Delo 15-40 BUT I noticed that few years back they changed there formula, I noticed by the increase in blow-by. So I did some research and talked to a local oil distributor only to confirm what I learned. So with that being said, I switched over to Phillips/Conoco synthetic blend brand, and the blow by decreased. After using it couple of oil changes, my local oil distributor recommended a house blend which was almost 1/2 priced and exceeded Phillips/Conoco brand. So, my recommendation would be either to stock up on your mystik and when your getting close to a service, carry the oil with you since you let shops change it for you. I’m just throwing out there on the type of oil that worked for my dinosaur engine. New oils “sometimes” don’t mix well with new formulas.

Joglz Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    It's hot in South Texas, and I like to do what's best for my engine. That's why I run 80/90wt. I can tell it's working, because the oil pressure gauge stays maxed out all the time.

On a more serious note, oil has come a long long ways since the sixties. All base oils are basically the same, and the only difference in brands is the additive package. But even "trash-tier" oil is still good oil. Make sure it's compliant to your engine (CJ-4, CI-4, etc), and it really doesn't matter. Dino oil can even be labelled as a synthetic as long as it meets certain standards, even though it doesn't have an ester oil base. So just because it says "synthetic" on the bottle, doesn't mean it's synthetic.

While changing my oil, I like to drink an ice cold Dr. Pepper. In fact, I'm drinking one right now, and it's very refreshing. Dr. Pepper - One Taste & You Get It.

4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Mystik is available at. Fleet Farm stores.
    I like their products

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  5. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
  6. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Thanks GpD. Nearly spit my coffee out...:hello2:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Rotella has always worked for me. Back when I was still running my little Frieghtliner I ran Rotella and when ever I took it into Holt Cat to get an overhead run or that evil Huei fuel system (the old 3126’s used) serviced they would change the oil into their Cat brand. I think it is made by Delo but can’t remember if that is what they told me for sure.
    Anyway, that engine would eat it up and in no time it would be a gallon low. Next oil change I’d go back into Rotella and the consumption would stop.
    Some engines are funny that way.

8. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    I never ran anything but rotella in my cats. Just seemed to be what they liked.

9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Wal Mart supertech is the cheapest oil you can buy. Ran it for years in my C15 and the samples all come back good. Running it now in my Detroit. Don't see the point in paying extra money on motor oil for the advertising and racing sponsorships of Mobil, Rotella, Valvoline, etc although I am glad people do because I am a race fan lol.

10. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Any particular reason a mega would switch from using Rotella 15w 40 to 10w 30? Only ask because my used truck service records show they did that about 18 months ago and kept it at 10w30.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  11. User666

User666 Medium Load Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Northeast Ohio
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.