Experience...Does It Really Matter Anymore?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Farmboi85, Sep 3, 2022.

1. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Dang
    I’m a math guy and thought this was one of those….

If a train leaves Chicago for Los Angeles at 3am traveling 59mph with no stops and a bus leaves Des Moines at 4am traveling 67mph going to that same location but has 3 stops 15 minutes each along the route
    Which vehicle arrives there first?

Sorta thing

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jackoboyo

jackoboyo Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Everything you mentioned could be done by a conscientious driver with 2 years of experience.
    After finishing an apprenticeship a journeyman electrician working for scale makes the same as a 20 journeyman.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  4. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Well..to be honest, anything can be done by anyone in an imaginary scenario.
    But in reality a well seasoned veteran will most likely complete more tasks with the least amount of guidance or instruction. My opinion is based on personal experience after near 50 years out here.
    Not saying there are no 2 year drivers that can't get the job done. I'm sure there are many.
    We are training 5 new drivers currently, and as of yesterday 2 have washed out.
    Don't know the reasons why.
    Both were relatively new drivers w under 2 years experience, which was lowered recently.
    And as I said before, both were making the same rate as me.

5. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    We know exactly what's going on. Those who want to make big bucks manage their clocks and stay out extended periods running on recaps. Those who work full-time mainly for the benefits packages stay out 4.5-5 days, and ask to pretty much run dedicated knowing they won't see big miles or money. They like what they do and are content with their runs. Those are usually older drivers who don't need to work anymore but just can't bring themselves to hang up the keys.

A majority remain in the $70-85 range, running 5.5 days/week and resetting at home.

EDIT: in addition, our pay scale is set up to reward those who keep the door shut and the truck moving, with a base rate and two tiers of "mileage bonus" on top of that, so those driving over 2400/week see 10 cents more than those under 1800/week.

GYPSY65, bryan21384 and Dennixx Thank this.
  6. LostSoul79

LostSoul79 Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2023
    I got my CDL through YRC/Yellow's training academy. I assume companies are so desperate for drivers they will do anything to get new drivers in the door. I'm right at that 2 year mark you are talking about. They are paying me the same as a guy that's been with the company 20 + years. I get what your saying. I get what seniority is, especially at Union Jobs like Yellow, ABF, UPS...it means everything. I worked at USPS back in like 2005 and left cause I felt like I was gonna wait for somebody to die to get a route. Same thing at Yellow. I never really see anybody my age (I'm in my mid 40's). Most these drivers are approaching or passed retirement age and work until there dead. Call it greed, call it I don't know how to manage money. I get putting in your time.

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Maybe they just enjoy driving a truck. I'm 73, retired for several years and have been back driving for over a year now. And I love doing it.

8. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    I guess the solution/answer to this depends on what you're really upset about. Is it that drivers with your experience doing what you do don't make more or is it because you think younger drivers doing the same thing should be making less?

9. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    That’s the whole problem with trucking .
    There is no room for advancement.
    You start out and two years later are earning about the max you will ever earn.

Nearly every other career has opportunities to advance .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.