Exposing log book tricks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jlkklj777, Jan 1, 2008.

1. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    Kudos driver. I never even considered that! Your right with the new cellphones with cellular triangulation they can track just about anyone (so long as the phone is turned on).

I applaud your courage and hard work Doma. I empathize with your situation and am glad you took the time to post your thoughts.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RoamingGnome

RoamingGnome Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Pennsylavania
    they would have to have GPS on their phone enabled.

4. Doma

Doma Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2007
    MA
    Cell Phone? how so? Need a judge to sign, to pull thoes records. I thought. Unless it is a company sell, but if personal they can't pull em. AM I wrong on that?

5. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The 12/8 are for California INTRAstate drivers only

6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Even with that off cell phone records will show what tower you are on and when.

Now if this thread is ONLY about road side inspections then you are right cell phone records are not going to come into play. But if we discussing all the ways that you can get busted on a falsified log then it does come into bearing.

jlkklj777 Thanks this.
  7. curtislyn

curtislyn Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Montgomery, AL

This is true. If you get a full statement from your cell carrier, it will show what the nearest tower that you made a call on.

8. TruckingBum

TruckingBum Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2007
    ga
    doesnt matter what state your in a 70 60 or 80 limit is unamerican
    and a contradiction to common sense as to why the hos were started in the first place, to document the required rest period
    if a driver has his required rest period then their should be no limit, unless the federal government wants to pay us for doing nothing.
    you can expose all you want nothing will change until the boxes become a reality and drivers fight the 70/60 hour limits.
    just another addition of my two ####### cents

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Can you blame your phantom co-driver if you get busted for speeding? What about if you have an accident? Can you blame your shadow?

Just checking.

10. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    Isnt that what the song Shaggy put out says? Just say it wasn't you. Haha just kidding.

LogsRus questioned how a driver could justify using 2 log books if the load originated in say Carlisle Pa. The answer is it works if the load was picked up by another driver and dropped at a yard for repower. Many companies use local drivers to pick up loads, then drop them for road drivers. So long as their was no time stamp on the bills the repowering driver could in fact claim he picked it up in Columbus Oh. Just claim "someone else" picked it up in Carlisle Pa and dropped it in Columbus Ohio.

The fact is many drivers will go several years without ever being inspected. I have been Dot checked about 6 times over the 16 years I have been driving and had the company I worked for dot audited once.

The trucking schools seem to teach theres a dot officer waiting around every corner just waiting to jump out of the bushes and demand to see your log book. The truth is I went about 2 years fresh out of school before ever being asked for my logbook.

Many drivers will have different experiences as to where they run and the company they represent. Believe it or not if the company you drive for has a satisfactory compliance rating chances are they are not going to bother with you at all.

Some "fly by night" companies have in fact taught their drivers many of these tactics to encourage the drivers to run hard. Its a symbiotic relationship and the drivers want more money so they fall for it. Too bad the companies wont back them up with paid legal representaion when something bad happens (such as an accident).

As for comparing running illegal... to quote LogsRus... "In my opinion when you run illegal you are taking just as much chances of getting busted as a drug dealer or robbing a bank:biggrin_25524:"

I do not agree with the comparison. Is it illegal? Yes under the current hos it is. You must remember that truckers are exempt from the federal minimum wage standard and unless you work for a union outfit your going to be paid much less.

This country was founded upon hard work and taking chances. Just because a government agency outlaws or restricts certain behavior doesn't mean the people will respect that law or rule especially if it flies in the face of making money and getting ahead.

I will cite prohibition as an example for 1. The truth is the "lawbreakers" made themselves filthy rich. When the government realized they were losing all this tax money and people were doing it anyway the law makers rescinded the law.

I offer the comparison of prohibition to the change in HOS. Restricting the potential earnings of a driver using unproven science. The government really screwed the pooch when they restricted the split sleeper berth provision to 8/2 only. The 10 hour mandatory break was welcome by some but resented by most. The sentiment is: "how dare the government dictate to me how I run my business or how much money I am allowed to make." This flys in the face of the great American work ethic and is in fact an outrage to many in this industry.

There is very little respect for hypocrisy in this country. Doctors may work 24 hours straight and have the lives of their patients at stake. Lawyers will work 80 plus hours per week and then commute to work an hour or more each way each day. The working poor will get 2 and sometimes 3 jobs to try and make ends meet. Racing from job to job in their personal vehicle so they do not lose their jobs, changing their clothes or uniforms in the car while driving!

Now compare a trained truck driver that wants to take a nap because he's tired and he was delayed unnecessarily at a customer. Under the current rules he cannot lay down for a couple of hours without it cutting into his "allowable" 14 hour work window. Sorry it just doesnt make any sense.

So perhaps now many more will understand why drivers will bend, twist, and even break the rules. Especially if it means elevating his family out of poverty.

In regard to cell phones tracking you. I believe if the phone is off it cannot track you but as soon as it is turned on they (the phone company) will know where you are based upon the cell tower reception.
    As far as being held liable this will happen if you were involved in an accident. The plaintiffs lawyer will try and get all the records including cell phone records to win his case.

11. BooBooMaker

BooBooMaker Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Benson, NC
    Some of us might be more worried if they find out how long we were on the phone instead of where it was made from. They might want U to start loggin' that on 2 lines at the same time

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.