Fedex freight

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Buffalonytrucker92, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    The hiring manager called me last night, but I was already out on the road. He didn't seem upset about me not picking up the phone, as it was near 5 pm on a Friday. He left a msg asking for me to call him back anytime on Monday. Seems promising thus far. Any particular questions I should ask of him if given the opportunity. I'm familiar with STAR format questions if his call to me is an over-the-phone interview.

Lumper Humper and McUzi Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Things to inquire on, you’ll notice I mention nothing about pay because that’s pretty obvious, it’ll be discussed and included in your offer letter.
    * how many drivers on the seniority board
    * how many drivers being hired
    * any drivers being asked to volunteer for days off (indicative of slowing business and not enough work)
    * average amount of weekly hours
    * 5 8s or 4 10s shift structure?
    * what is the start time that you’d have at first
    * do city drivers get put into an extra board position at first? If so, does that include having to run linehaul? (Important if you don’t want to work nights)

PNwMtFlwr, jmz and Farva Thank this.
  4. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    HR told me it was a M-F 8a-530p shift currently offering 45 hours/wk. She also said there could be linehaul available for additional OT for various reasons, but I will ask the hiring mgr for specifics. Thanks for the questions. I will be sure to ask them.

5. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    The recruiter is pretty detached from the terminal so I’d take that with a grain of salt until you talk to the manager. It’s still possible that it could be very steady work if you’re applying at a small location with only a handful of drivers.

When you call back, he’s just going to set up a time for an in-person interview.

McUzi, Farva and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  6. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    Very small rural location in the upper-MW. His phone number came up being 2 hours south of me. I'm thinking he never changed his number, or we're having an over-the-phone covid-19 interview, but I could be wrong. Will find out in the am.

jmz and McUzi Thank this.
  7. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    Ok, so just had a 42 min call with the hiring mgr. Went very well. We will be having a phone interview this coming Friday. I would be the bottom driver that would have to cover the overnight linehaul driving which will be roughly 6 weeks/year (3 linehaul drivers and should they take 2 weeks vaca/year). The current low man has been there 3 years...so I could/should expect the same. Monday is a 7 am start time until complete with Tue-Fri being an 8 am start time until completion and then a rotational Saturday which he said would be 2-3x/year. Weekly hours for this location are in the 45-50 for most of the year and 35-42 for the slow season (which he said for me would likely still be 40+ since I'll be new and have that learning curve/taking longer than usual). He said this location has plenty of work year-round even during this pandemic. He is needing to hire at least one driver, but believes he will need to hire a 2nd one...which means, should I get hired first, the 2nd hire would immediately become low man and have to cover line-haul, which is why he needs to hire at least 1 now and the reason why he has to hire for this area at all. Most in the area don't want to drive overnight. I told him I was concerned about ramp-up and he said not to be worried about it. To take my time, that there is no expectation of going from 0 to 20-year veteran status in a few weeks or months. Just show progress.

8. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Low man has been there 3 years?
    Woah that’s a slow moving board. Also easily a testament to the work environment and culture and that location.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  9. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    They randomly left me a VM today about an apprentice P&D position I applied to months ago. I’m half-tempted to pursue it.

Texas_hwy_287 and Farva Thank this.
  10. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I’d consider it, and then stay put

HiramKingWilliams Thanks this.
  11. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    The guy really sounded pleased w/ the group of guys he had at this barn (that's what you call them, right?_ He's not local, but has been in charge of this location and the major metro area to my south for 2.5 years, but due to the pandemic, he hasn't come up to visit this year yet.

McUzi and Lumper Humper Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.