Finding a good setup

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by gt4jk, Mar 28, 2020.

1. gt4jk

gt4jk Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2008
    It was a dead end thought. Definitely wouldn’t need one for my needs. If I did go the 10 meter radio route.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I'd go with the virgin Cobra that comes from the factory working well without a golden screwdriver's molestations, and the RM Italy amp for those times when extra range is needed.

I did.

It works.

gt4jk Thanks this.
  4. gt4jk

gt4jk Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2008
    I’m definitely leaning towards that way.

Getting a cobra w amp
    Positives:
    ++ Don’t have to mess with internals,
    + I can switch on the amp when needed.
    + Cheaper starting cost
    +From reading past threads, I should be able to get out 3-5 miles with good antenna, and even more with amp.
    + Cheap to replace the CB if it becomes defective.

Negative’s:
    -/+ legality of having an amp
    - not having “natural” strength versus a converted 10 meter

From what I also read that most CB manufacturers nowadays use similar components and it’s usually the warranty or extra doo dads your paying for (+ the brand name).

5. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    As far as legality goes..... I wouldn't worry about the amp, because technically 10 meter export radios are illegal on the CB band too, since they put out more than the legal 4 watts.

gt4jk Thanks this.
  6. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

Actually the dual antennas aren't just for show on a big truck. It's been proven for over 50 years, that running dual co-phased antennas while pulling a box trailer gives the best performance. At least from front to back of the truck. The RF signal is weaker going out from the sides of the truck/trailer combo. But that hasn't been a problem since most drivers talk to trucks mainly to get a bear report, etc., from trucks going the opposite direction. Or from someone a few miles ahead of them.

stacks Thanks this.
  7. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Mr Ridgeline's advice is spot on if you plan on spending a lot of money on your radio itself. A poor antenna setup will blow up anything that's putting out any sort of power. Stock CB's are much more forgiving.
    I would start with a Cobra 29/Uniden PC78 and work your way up from there. Also remember that moving up to a big radio also means you have to properly mount that BIG radio in your truck! Those radios are big and can be cumbersome in today's trucks. As far as an RM Italy amp......I preferred to run them with a 1 watt dead key which would mean turning a regular CB down a bit. Amp runs a bit cooler and your audio should stay clean unless your radio is hacked up. Variable power on a 10 meter radio makes that a little easier to deal with.

JD

gt4jk Thanks this.
  8. gt4jk

gt4jk Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2008
    For turning down the CB, would you recommend Galaxy DX 959 as it has a output power regulator knob?

Thanks

9. kelgar50

kelgar50 Medium Load Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Bakersfield,CA
    Hands down the best radio I have ever owned was a Stryker 955. I have had Connex,Galaxy, Cobra and Unidens in the past also. The Styker has always been trouble free. For a antenna I found that a single Predator 10K comp worked the best also.

stacks Thanks this.
  10. jdchet

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    My question is do you need or have you ever worked SSB? Try to refrain from spending money for do dads you don't need or want. If you want to try SSB, have at it! It's especially fun when skip is rolling. However a Galaxy radio wouldn't be my first choice for SSB. Having run an old Galaxy SSB radio they tended to drift so a SIX digit frequency counter was essential. That 5 digit counter on the 959 is basically window dressing.
    If SSB is not your thing a Cobra29 will do everything that Galaxy will $60 cheaper!

JD

gt4jk Thanks this.
  11. jdchet

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    I always preferred a single antenna, drivers side. Less chance of the roadside trees wrecking your antenna system!

JD

stacks Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.