Finding loads

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by garrett2905, Mar 2, 2007.

1. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    If you were considering your own authority brocrider gave a very good suggestion of establishing base customers . If you are considering leasing I'd suggest considering tanker . They have been less affected by the economy and there are several tank companies working out of Louisvile . Schneider recently listed openings for tank drivers in Louisville but I don't know if they use O/O's for tankers .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

4. Cbtx

Cbtx Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Wylie, TX
    As a young simple minded teen who is looking forward to becoming a king of the roads, I must ask.

Once you buy a rig, be it a KW, a pete, mac, or f/l etc, what do you do to find loads? Do you just call a company and say, "Hey I got my own truck, can I haul some of your loads?"

If the shot in the dark I took was coincidentally right, could ya please specify, maybe give some names of companies that are willing to hire you on as an o/o?
    & do all companies require that you put their company name on your rig?

The Challenger Thanks this.
  5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    After you buy your own truck, unless you get your own authority, you will lease on to a company, assuming you are qualified and your truck meets their requirements. Yes, you will have their name on your truck and they will find the loads and do the bookeeping and charge you a percentage. Almost any carrier will lease on O/O's.

6. S C Rydah

S C Rydah Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Jersey
    Well what If I dont meet their requirements and I don't have recent T/T exp? Who will take me - THATS DECENT AT LEAST? U know anybody that'll broker loads for me if I rent a box truck for 6mos?

7. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    If you have your own Authority, just join a few online loadboards.

8. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Brokering loads is easy, getting insurance may not be easy.

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Well, Mr Rydah, owning your truck doesn't get you in the front door. You have to be DOT qualified and do the 10 year employment check etc. Since you are pulling the lessor's trailer/freight and representing the company to shippers/consignees, you have to qualify including being OK'd by their insurance carrier. Renting a box truck (you mean a 26' straight truck?) and searching for freight through brokers probably won't work. It reeks of half-arsedness and brokers will see right through you and probably laugh you plum into the next time zone. Just my opinion, which you asked for.

10. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    I'm sure any of the expedite companies would be happy to take your money, er um I mean lease you on.

11. S C Rydah

S C Rydah Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Jersey
    Ah. I see. Basically like all the companies do in orientation! Getting your own authority changes nothing. In fact, they are more strict I guess. So I would be better off just waiting until my MVR looks a little better and trying it then. Same with brokering myself I guess...assuming I learned HOW thru the right people or school and could get all I needed to be an authorized broker. Just what I needed to know. Thx I appreciate it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.