First, protect yourself.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Over the hill, Jan 26, 2007.

1. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I started off Driving after a 13 year of Military Service which ended up with a Medical Discharged. Bad knees, Feet along with many other things. I started driving in 1996 and Nov of 2000 I was fired cause I refused to drive while under the influence of medication. I can only blame my self, for I ran my self down to the ground and was so sick and burned out I was only able to stay awake for 5 hours a day.

I ended up on Disability, and a Long and boring 7 years break, I am coming back out on the road. Worked this month for a local guy hauling Granite to the Grave yards, but it was not working out, so I am switching to another guy to drive cross country.

When I did take my DOT Physical I had the same Doctor who gave me my first DOT Physical ever. His comments were "I am now in better health than I was in 1996. Yes I still hurt, still suffer from Dejentive Arthritis from the Neck down, but as for my blood work I am in better health. 1 week later I had to go the the VA Hospital for my yearly Physical, same story, I was in much better health than a year ago.

But I did learn this during my time Driving before.

1. Always take a break every 2 to 3 hours of driving, by stopping at a rest area and walk around or the Truck Stop. No matter where you stop WALK around.

2. Eat the right healthy foods. Though it cost alot Stop and eat 1 good meal a day. Do not eat just junk food.

3. Stop smoking ( I have to work on that one my self)

4. Drink more Water (another I need to do)

5. Stay on top of your personal hygiene (Teeth, bathing)

6. Get some rest when you can. Even power naps during the day will help.

7. Avoid parking next to the door, Get out and Walk!!!! You will see me walking, even on my bad days, I may be using a cane, but I will walk. (I walk cause I know someday soon, I will not be able to)

As you seen, I have somethings I am still working on myself. But I am working on it. I am currently waiting on my truck I will be driving to get out of the Shop, and I will be out sometime next week or shortly afterwards. I am looking forward to it. I'll be the Mid age Driver that looks to be in his 50's by some opinions, wobbles when I walk, uses a cane off and on, and always cracking jokes and teasing. And I'll be wearing a Coast Guard Veterans Ball cap. (Gee Feels naked without it)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2BigDogs

2BigDogs Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Here are some stretches that are good for desk jockeys and could probably be adapted easily to driving.

I can't post the link so go to http://www.dumblittleman.com/ and look in the archives in the Health category for a post titled "Simple Stretches You Can Do at Your Desk"

4. 2BigDogs

2BigDogs Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    And ditto on walking and drinking water. Your whole body, especially muscles, need water to function properly. I'm 41 and walk 3-5 miles a day with my dogs and I'm in the best shape of my life.

5. rch10007

rch10007 Medium Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    The old man who taught me about the biz is also suffering from similar issues now. He was a true hustler. Always on the run. He can't even sit down now without an inflatable ring to absorb some the his own body weight!!!

I hope I don't sound shameless, but now is a good time for a plug...Go get a poor dog from the pound and carry him/her in the truck with you. Not only do you get a companion but an excellent reason to get out of the truck every few hours to take the dog for a walk!

Saving a dog may save your butt, literally...

GAPrincess Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.