Flatbed training?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RollinThunderVet, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Boy, I can't remember, around $25,000 or there about. I had three of these units. Bought as a package.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    I know I don't want to haul coils... lol
    Even now with vans, I refuse to haul paper rolls now. That's part of the desire to do flats. I don't like having to accept a load, and not knowing how it's loaded because I can't see the front products

4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I have hauled coils, and I agree, I hated them, LOL! But honestly, not knowing who you work for, a conestoga kit can be a real money maker if you find the right brokers to deal with. I took some scaffolding to Las Vegas for some stupid money out of Kansas City for a rental agency that needed them tomorrow. After I delivered I discovered they were having the ConAG show over at the Hilton... I took a day off and waited for the show to end, I strolled over there and bagged three partials, paid $15,000 back to Michigan. I routed it right to the house... That was a fun week, and I remember it for the fact I was able to just walk on in and find these loads. Landstar was one of the brokers, I forget who the other two were. It was a good week. One of many. ;-)

ZephyrSoCal and Zaros Thank this.
  5. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    Sounds like that's where I will end up...
    Looks like first thing will be the securement equipment( chains, straps, rack, etc)

ZephyrSoCal Thanks this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, I'll tell ya', you can't go into a new trucking venue, and not want to haul something. That will never work. When I hauled flatbed, I was green, REALLY green, but took whatever they told me to do. I said, "I never hauled coils" ( or whatever) and the boss said, "just watch how everybody else does it", and that worked. Tarping is indeed the worst. Once, while hauling containers, I was at a hardboard plant waiting, and the wind was a' howlin', and some poor dude was trying to tarp his load of sticks, and the tarp was clearly winning, and he was getting pissed. I couldn't just sit and watch, got out and helped him, he was very appreciative. I think, aside from tanker, flatbed is probably you're best bet today. Good luck.

7. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    Well I have put in my time doing what the boss says. Now that it's my truck and trailer, I haul what I want...
    I don't care if I have to run empty 400 miles, I don't do paper rolls in the van. It's just not worth the chance. Let the company with 500 trucks and 2000 trailers take that risk. There's a reason certain lanes are spot market. Even the big companies won't risk certain products now.

swaggerjacker Thanks this.
  8. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    It's getting rare to see drivers helping one another.... I stop often for not just trucks, but 4 wheelers as well. Just depends on my schedule and my mood.
    I passed some idiot today hauling 3 rolls of something. His tarps were so loose they had flapped until the rolls(3ft wide) had shredded his tarp...
    All I could do was shake my head and think even I know better.

ZephyrSoCal Thanks this.
  9. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Flatbed is something you learn how to do through reading the books and watching the videos... and then relearn as you make a bunch of mistakes during practical training/practice. It doesn't take much to grasp the fundamentals, but it takes a lifetime to master everything.

10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Come into my territory (Great Lakes region) and you'll change your,mind about coils right quick. Steel is bread and butter for flatbedders around here. Not the top dollar loads, but good, steady work with good, steady paychecks.

I run steel, rarely see anything but. And if I do drag something other than steel, it generally turns into a clusterflop of epic proportions!

Gimme a big honkin' coil I can chuck a bunch of chains at before I close up (Conestoga trailer), and I'm happy as a clam.

11. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    You can have em... lol
    I'd be more willing to haul coils than paper rolls, simply because I would be the one securing it.

brsims Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.