flatbed vs. dry van

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by FloridaDudester, Jun 18, 2019.

1. FloridaDudester

FloridaDudester Light Load Member

May 13, 2019
    Yes, I have. I'm looking at truckers Edge Pro right now. I paid for the subscription just to learn how to use the tool.... not complicated. I've done many millions of dollars in equipment sales and service in my little business over the past 20 years. And yes, I do my own corporate accounting and manage my own rental properties and tenants, my own stock market investments (long term, no stupid day trade bs). Well, I do. I already have one business that does well. I have my own reasons for wanting another challenge. Sure, I feel better when I make more money, but I won't finance myself into a corner. I will have my truck, my trailer and my $13,560 annual insurance paid up front. Then I have a net income of more than enough to support me if I don't do loads. I have no intention of running 1.20 loads, except maybe to exit low paying florida to get to GA, TN, AR, or LA, where loads for now, are quite good from what I am seeing. Now those loads now are $2.00 - $3.00 a mile.

I also know that you won't go broke by underestimating the public. People, including truckers, will buy the best, get deep in dept, and indenture themselves to a life of serving (in this case, a truck). I'm not doing that. I will build a fleet, one at a time, and a small one at that. I will only pay cash, have a good mechanic available and hope to not get plagued by surprise failures. However, I am expecting to have some, and will make sure I have reserve for it. I've made it in an industry where nobody makes it two years, for twenty years as a little quality oriented shop.

The reason I question the load boards viability to run a freight business is that I have as many truckers illustrating and telling that they use the load boards (some exclusively) and they show some of their numbers. I can separate the wheat from the chafe, given enough information. That's what you do in business. Everyone has a story, true or untrue or somewhere in between.

Do you use load boards?

I appreciate that nothing may beat a direct customer contract as that makes total sense. I'm going to ask the question to the masses.

Dino soar and jamespmack Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I have to ask , since u want to run flatbed freight.. Business aside .. Do u have any flatbed experience?? We haul some very dangerous stuff on a daily basis , flatbed ain't nothing to mess with.. I would say it would be best to get properly trained on flatbed.. The legal requirements of securement. The different ways of securing a load.. etc etc every load is different and requires different stuff..

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    What do you think?

You need more than 1 mechanic. I have them in various places that I frequent. A mechanic in Florida wont do you much good unless you're exclusively in Florida. Anyways, Six back quiet.

jamespmack, PPDCT and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I don't think this guys gonna get it. You can lead a horse to water as they say.

jamespmack, Bean Jr. and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    no, I haven't. No question, I will need to learn. I've got a retired friend who did flatbed in NYC of all places.
    He is going to do some part time driving for me and has volunteered to teach me what he can. I've never driven a semi truck, but I just put a cash bid on one ten minutes ago. I don't take securement lightly. It's quite interesting to watch flat bedders on youtube and educational. I'm an old college grad with a mind for numbers. I can only say that right now, I still have to take the Florida CDL class. I had my CDL back almost 32 years ago and drove a straight truck only (Michigan). Climbing on top of loads doesn't appeal to me, but another flat bedder told me is has only once been on top of a load.

I totally agree, I need to seek training. That's not the big issue, for me. Having always worked for myself, almost right out of college, my world is on the job training. I don't underestimate you guys that do this stuff. you're fast and learned on it, to do it safely and efficiently. Don't worry, I'll learn right after I get my truck, my authority, my trailer, my cdl. Probably in that screwed up order, against my own advice. I'm an eccentric cat, to say the least. I probably make too much money to add trucking to the mix. Way to much to go get experience working for 20% of what I earn in a year.

Admittedly, the items I feel comfortable securing are lumber, steel (rebar, sheets, stock, etc), dry wall, coils. Actually. on the coils I need to study that a bit more, but I've got videos of a trucker doing it. I get that this stuff can kill someone. Why does everyone talk to me like a kid? I'm 55 and own a building, 5 houses and a small, yet good business. My business has zero debt and I owe only on one house.

That said, the safety is a factor, which i will not compromise on. If I get stuck, I'll ask. If I thought I could profit in dry freight, I would. That, and the fact that Progressive wants to charge me more for running a dry van, than the higher risk (IMO) Flatbed.

7. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    Yes, I'm a bit stubborn, not to be chased away when people are yelling fire, when I don't smell smoke or see fire.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  8. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    Of course. That is a problem...getting stranded out in the middle of nowhere. Atleast, I can try to mitigate that by spending the money doing preventive maintenance. Your point is well taken!

9. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    BecUse this #### aint no game boss. Whatever u do with ur bisiness thats up to u , im not gonna tell u what to do with ur money. But securment is no game. Coils, they call them suicide coils for a reason. It aint just a funny name. They will kill u very fast if u get enough slack in ur chain and have to break to hard, thats litterally all it takes for that coil to snap loose and when u put 40k pounds in motion , u better say a prayer. U say ur comfortable with securing this stuff. Ut never picked up a binder or chain or threw a strap, securement looks easy on youtube but when u sittin there starin at it in person and got 3 trucks behind u waiting for u to move out the way, u really gonna know how to secure it?? , ive helped alot of guys over the years and been helped alot of times myself and there really aint nothing i feel comfortable with. Maybe ive gotton the hang of how to secure something but comfortable and flatbed is a bad combination. There aint a day that i dont learn out here and most of us is that way.. Always looking for ways to make the process more efficeint. Like i said alot of this #### looks easy but trust me we make it look that way, but u will find that out soon enough

10. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Its sad to watch ppl seperate themselves from their money. Little does he know all the guys in here with decades of experience in the industry and he thinks he can do it better then them , hahah oh well guess he will learn the hard way like everybody else did

jamespmack and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  11. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Put it this way, @FloridaDudester -

I'm a broker that primarily deals in open deck freight. Florida has a much deserved reputation for cheap freight, and a large base of folks cutting each others' throats to get ahead. I don't run anything out of Florida as a result. I'm not interested in a race to the bottom of the barrel.

Several of the people who have replied in here are individuals I respect immensely (@TripleSix and @Ruthless are both excellent sources of information on how to open deck, and how to do business in open deck freight, for instance), and in all, a lot of good knowledge is to be had here. Your targets might be a little unrealistic, especially running out of Florida.

Now- this is not to talk you out of doing this. If you're going to do it, you're going to do it. But it's better to understand what you're getting yourself into, and to understand that if you're coming in to this expecting pie in the sky numbers you're going to be disappointed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.