flatbed vs. dry van

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by FloridaDudester, Jun 18, 2019.

1. FloridaDudester

FloridaDudester Light Load Member

May 13, 2019
    I went to letstruck. Looks like a remedial site for people who know squat. I don't need that kind of help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Good luck getting a full day of driving when you're loading, unloading, delivering to a place Saturday that is closed weekends, spending hours finding a load, deadhead, etc.

4. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    Good point. That's a real deal I hadn't considered into my schedule.

5. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    Trolling for what?

6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Your going to be in for a rude awakening.

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Places that quit receiving at 14:00.... :tard:

8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    A lot of people can't hack it. Can you drive 8 hours straight? How about starting a day at 6am, driving 11 hours, going to bed at 8pm to get up at 4am, then again the next day at 2am just to make the appointment? (This week sucked) It's not a vacation.

9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl

Those are unrealistic expectations ignoring even basic facts of life such as the hos rules.

You are aware of the hos rules right?
    11 hours driving within a 14 hour window. No more than 70 hours on duty (which includes all driving, loading, unloading, fueling, daily pre and post trip inspections) in an 8 day period. That's 8.75 hours per day. 30 minutes of which will be spent between fueling and inspecting your equipment. Add in loading and unloading time each day and just how exactly are you going to be running 3600 miles every 7 days?

3600 miles a week literally can only happen with long coast to coast runs, which rarely pay crap. Or by blatantly ignoring hos rules.

I'll try to give an example of a realistic typical week under perfect conditions with no time spent looking for and negotiating loads.

Monday: Load at 8 am, 600 miles for a Tuesday early am delivery, you park 1 hour away because very few businesses allow you to spend the night in their parking lot and of those that would 50% of them are in cities that prohibit it.

Tuesday:You start your day at 630 and show up to get unloaded at 8 am and if everything goes perfect you are out by 10 am. Drive 2 hours for your reload, another 2 hours getting loaded. Its now 2 pm. the load goes 600 miles but because of hos you can only drive 5.5 hours. @60 mph average that's 325 miles. So you park a few minutes early so you don't risk going over your hos and get your post trip inspection done and log off duty at 730 pm. You are still 275+ miles from your customer and can't even go on duty to start your day until 530 am.

Wednesday: 530 am you do a quick pre trip and drive 5 hours to be at your customer at 1030 am. Empty by noon. 2 hours dh to nrxt load (another 600 mile run), 2 hours getting loaded. Its 430 pm and you can only drive 3 hours till 730pm.

Thursday; start at 530 again but now we are 420 miles away. That's 7 hours so we get there at 12:30. 2 hours to get unloaded and its 230 pm. Hope your next load is right around the corner or you aint getting loaded today. Realistically its gonna Friday before you reload so we book a longer load to make the best of our time. 1200 miles for a Monday morning delivery. You know why we won't deliver Saturday? Because you got a flatbed and the VAST majority of places that ship and recieve flatbed freight are monday through Friday 7 to 3.

Friday: you load and start progressing towards delivery setting yourself up as close to the customer as possible by Saturday afternoon.

Do you know why we want to be parked near the customer early Saturday afternoon and not stretch it out to sunday? This is a real question that even a 3 month rookie driver knows the answer to. If you don't know the answer them its a big neon sign that screams you need a TON more industry knowledge before buying a truck. Obviously you can get that knowledge a bunch of different ways, many suggest be a company driver for a year. I'm not saying that. I say screw that. I've never been a company driver and learned just fine operating my own truck so no reason you can't. I'm saying its a big flaming billboard of a sign you need to study more. A lot more.

10. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    I'm going to wait til the end of august to buy a truck, I decided. That way, there will be a lot of them on the market and the supply will exceed the demand as many of you head for the exits. That's what i'm getting as a vibe here and social media. The sky has fallen and there is no loads to be found that pay.

11. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    I can drive 8 hours straight, but I never get up at 6am, if I can help it. That may end up being the part that doesn't agree with me..... driving 11 hours. For short periods of time, I would do it, but not week in and week out. That's why I won't drive only but probably half a year, broken up. As I said in other posts, I'm glad I don't depend on it solely, to make my living. Sometimes, its not a choice, to drive to get to an appt. I do understand that. Thanks for that post. I don't want to hear just good, although I'm sure that's what I sound like.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.