Flatbed vs step deck

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by grizzlyjim, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Revolution said all alum. I'll send you the link.

rank Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Looking at the info again- the combo was 11,4xx I looked at one that had all the container locks on it. I was wrong.

rank Thanks this.
  4. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    After trying to haul tracked equipment with our aluminum steps we came to the conclusion that they just are not strong enough to do it and kept some steel drops for those loads.

rank and Hurst Thank this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    She's a German Rotti,.. small at 105lbs. She was the runt of the litter. She was so friendly,.. no shyness at all,.. and not scared of the other pups at the food bowl. I'm a sucker for the underdog,.. thats why I chose her. She's almost 10 yrs old. Been a great dog.

Hurst

Brettj3876 and tommymonza Thank this.
  6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Could you elaborate? I dont haul track machines exclusively,.. I do many rubber tire machines, hoists, trucks, trailers as well as general freight and tarp loads are not off limits as much as I despise taking tarp loads.

When you say not strong enough, what is happening? Who's trailers are you using and where are the weak points?

The Fontaine Infinity combo is the only Step I have ever used/owned. Its not with out its faults, yet I would not hesitate to buy another. Mine is registered as a 2013, built in 2012, I bought it from my carrier in 2014. I have done a few brutal loads on it and it has come out pretty unscathed. I prefer to load/unload myself. I am a 15 yr equipment operator veteran. I dont like to turn or shift track equipment once it has hit the deck. Get it lined up and straight with minimal adjustments. I can have a machine on perfectly straight,.. all they need to do is back straight off and the first thing that do is start over correcting while backing off. I stop them and as politely as I can, ask them to please step down and look at the air bag under my trailer, I say look whats happening. Then I nonchalantly climb up in the machine and finish unloading it myself before they can say a word about insurance or regulations,.. I already have the machine off the trailer. There is nothing wrong with my air bag,.. I just used that as a distraction. People are like sheep and can be herded in any direction you want.

Ignore the machine on my deck in this pic. I'm posting it because its the best one I can find that shows the condition of my deck after 2 yrs of 85% equipment loads with roughly 40% of those being track machines.
    [​IMG]

And these are some of my loads of choice. Paid well and very easy to chain down and go.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd really like to find an all aluminum step than can hold up to this kind of abuse and still be able to haul plates, coils, beams, pipe, machinery, or anything thats paying well instead of having to turn something away for fear it will damage my trailer.

Hurst

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    There is that too. I think you figured me out LOL.

Hurst

8. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    We ripped both aluminum main beams almost in half several years back on a 1995 Reitnouer. Right in front of the 1st axle. 121" tandem spread. Not sure what caused it. I wasn't the driver. The load wasn't heavy...it was a city bus.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Hurst Thanks this.
  9. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Yeah, it's not the first hit that gets you, it is the 3rd and 4th bounce that does you in. Don't get that many on a step deck.:bounce::bounce::bounce::laughing3::laughing5::laughing3::laughing5::laughing3:

Hurst Thanks this.
  10. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Duplicate post

11. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Just like the military, this post was in triplicate!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.