Getting started no experience questions

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by charged, Jul 17, 2008.

1. charged

charged Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not about to schedule a load and figure out how to strap and tarp it when I get to the shipper. I do have a resource whom I may call which is good IMO.

I'm not going to spend the next 8 years going to school to figure out how to secure a load. This is not rocket science or medical science it is learning how to chain and strap a load. The pay reflects that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. charged

charged Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Nashville, TN

I don't mind learning. The original question is about brokers and loads. So, why don't you and everyone else just answer the question?

4. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Gotham City
    Another Billy Big Rigger whose ink isn't even dry on the CDL thinks he can be a O/O with authority.:biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559:

5. GuysLady

GuysLady Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    I've been in and around trucks for the vast majority of my life. I've been tarping and strapping loads since I was 14. I spent the best part of my summers helping tarp and strap loads at my father's workplace. It is not an easy job. I tarped and strapped loads with my husband when he ran flats.. I helped the drivers at one of his employers yards.. even with all this experience, there are STILL times when I look at a load and think "####! How am I supposed to strap THAT?"

My advice? GET SOME TRAINING!

As for the original question.. find those after you learn how to do the job!

walleye Thanks this.
  6. charged

charged Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Why don't you school me on what is needed to be an O/O with authority.

Wait, I know! Filling out some paperwork, truck, insurance, and taxes. No experience required.

7. charged

charged Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    It isn't my fault you're a slow learner or maybe can't think for yourself.

The original question is all I am interested in. All this strapping nonsense is a bunch of trolling as far as I am concerned.

8. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    Pulling a Flatbed is not that complicated as everyone is making it out to be, it’s just a little more work. When I started pulling a flatbed two years ago the company I leased my truck to handed me a piece of paper with the required equipment, then sent me out to their old shop to dig out the equipment. Never charged me a dime for the equipment and I still have it working for another company.

I’m only 23 and doing quite well pulling a flatbed. I just finished a two day round trip all miles were 1425 and paid to me my truck $3,520.00 not bad for leasing to a company. Last week I had a small oversize that I moved 289 miles that paid $2,800.00 to my truck. That oversize paid $3,500.00 to the company but they took their cut which left me the $2,800.00

I started in the same shoes you are in now, except I was 19 years old when I bought my first truck and leased to a small company hauling Ag products locally for them now 4 ½ years later that truck is paid off and I’m doing well, even though everyone said I was too young and would fail. (And I’m still running the same truck so obviously I haven’t wreaked or killed anyone)

My only advice if you can only go in a 500 mile radius I would look into local dedicated work and skip the brokers.

Good Luck
    Austin

charged Thanks this.
  9. 379 Peterbilt

379 Peterbilt Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Few seasoned O/Os are willing to make the jump from being leased, to getting their own authority, much less a newb with no driving experience.

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/pkg_html.prc_limain

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/registration-licensing.htm

You can spend days at that website. Overwellming amount of BS.

I have thought of getting my own authority too, but I am not going to consider it at least until the economy starts picking up.

But you seem hell bent, so here's a link to some folks who'll give ya some free consultation.
    http://www.dixoninsurance.com/index.html

As for load securement, ....I've only hauled reefers, vans and tanks,....but I have heard TMC has a load securement training program. Might be worth a call.

Be sure to post in 6 months. Curious to see where you are at that time.

10. charged

charged Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Nashville, TN

Thanks for the response. I've called some manufacturers of concrete pillars near my house, Metromont. and haven't received a reply. I'm not sure if they deal with a broker or directly. Then there is a place nearby I was going to call that deals with plastic pipe.

I just need to figure out if I can get good loads leaving here each week and maybe use an online service to get a return load. Then how much these loads will pay.

Congratulations on your business.

11. charged

charged Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    IMO, that is because they are scared or content with what they have.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.