Gross safety infraction

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Davisio201, Dec 5, 2021.

1. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Picked up at a warehouse for a chemical plant a couple months ago. When you back in, the supervisor comes out, gladhand locks your trailer and rolls a big stop sign in front of your truck. The week before, one of our drivers picked up there. The supervisor came out, unlocked the trailer, moved the stop sign and told the driver to pull up and shut his doors so he could put the seal on it. When they went back to shut and seal, they we both shocked to see one of the other warehouse guys inside the trailer still. Their policy was to take a picture of the load before it's sealed and the supervisor jumped the gun releasing the driver before the photographer snapped a pic. Thankfully it was only a person in the trailer and not a forklift or powered pallet jack.

And checking to see if a dock door is open or closed doesn't always mean you're done. I pull refrigerated freight, and I have been in the process of being live loaded, but then there was a shift change. The 1st shift closed the dock door so my reefer unit wasn't running wide open the whole time, then the 2nd shift would open it when it was time to finish loading. The same is true when you're loading at a place where the product is being made, and they're loading off the line. They open the door, stick a couple pallets on, close the door until another couple pallets are stacked and ready to load keeping as much cold air in the trailer as possible.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Boondock

Boondock Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2019
  4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    This is why we have to unhook and go park over at the bobtail corral and turn in our keys while they are (un)loading us.

Pamela1990 and dwells40 Thank this.
  5. Savor the Flavor

Savor the Flavor Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Yes! And I've just become his agent. He gets around, so it's quite the lucrative side gig. Let me know if you want to book 'im!

6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    No thanks, he doesn’t have a work space.

7. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Same with loading Sulphur at Shell but it’s top load so you need to pull ahead to the next trailer.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  8. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    That sounds like a Nebraska meat place I went to. Stop sign and pictures etc. Still not foolproof but probably means the place is trying to be organized.
    There are so many different configuration of docks for reefers I know I've been in some where NO WAY could I verify the back of my trailer was open, closed, occupied... I've seen busted lights, inoperable lights but only on some doors, some places have no lights. Bumper locks broken, seals so deep you can't see even from underneath. I won't judge the OP just glad the guy in the back didn't get hurt.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  9. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada

Shhhhhh ;)

kemosabi49 and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.