Have a big control problem

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TruckerGonnaBe, Aug 27, 2014.

1. TruckerGonnaBe

TruckerGonnaBe Light Load Member

May 27, 2014
    Western WA
    Thank you that worked perfectly I did what you said. I lowered the landing gear to just touching the ground, dropped the bags, put it in 3rd, and it worked perfectly. It did not lurch at all and it was 43,488 lbs. Biggest one I done so far. Next time I'll make sure to leave it just a little bit above ground when I drop the trailer.

Thank you :D

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerGonnaBe

May 27, 2014
    Western WA
    Another lesson learned. Thankfully in a nice way.

The driver who is taking our load while STT is in the hospital saw the damage to the trailer and after learning that I was the one who dropped it showed me what to look for during the inspection and how to handle the situation to cover my rump.

Nice guy but he is now irritated with STT because some of this stuff should have been shown to me a long time ago.

The shop people showed me how to get the truck set up for repairs so I have now put our truck in the shop to have the Jake brake looked at again because coming down siskuyou (still don't know how to spell that) it stopped working again. I also know who to call for repairs and what is acceptable tire wise

Oh and I just learned that there should be a belt system for the bottom bunk so I'm not being thrown while trying to sleep when he's driving. What a relief to learn that one. Next tome I get into the truck I'm going to look for it.

4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    [QUOTE="semi" retired;4222187]That's true, however, I've always had the fear of "high hooking" that way. See, years ago, with spring suspensions, you didn't have that luxury, and I wasn't about to crank the dollies on a loaded trailer in 10 degree weather, so I just got in the habit of greasing the trailer. Sometimes, trailers were dropped so low, for whatever reason, even dropping the air wasn't enough.[/QUOTE]

The important thing with my method is to GOAL after backing under the trailer before inflating the air bags. I check the kingpin and plate for cracks and make sure the 5th wheel is in front of the kingpin and centered fairly well. Then I inflate the airbags and GOAL again to make sure the landing gear gets raised. If needed I'll raise the landing gear to make sure the weight of the trailer is entirely on the 5th wheel. Then I back into the kingpin, hear the kingpin lock engage, and do a tug test. Then GOAL to look and visually check that the kingpin lock is completely engaged and THEN proceed to hook up the air lines and pigtail, etc.

Doing this method guarantees you can't high hook or get an incomplete kingpin lock engagement. The trailer will always be flat on the kingpin plate before you back in to engage the lock.

"semi" retired Thanks this.
  5. Dan&Lisa

Dan&Lisa Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Why are you asking that question here?...Ask the trainer...that is what he/she is for.If the "trainer" isnt training you...ask for a new one,one that will actually teach you...not suck up the mileage pay and leave you hanging.The only way to get rid of the bad trainers is to report them to the company.

6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    You'll probably notice that many members of TTR, newbies and experienced, use this forum as a reality check. I do agree that reporting a bad trainer to the company would be helpful.

7. TruckerGonnaBe

May 27, 2014
    Western WA

I wish I could get a new trainer but he is the only trainer currently available. Until another trainer opens up I'll learn what I can from him and the rest here because it's better than sitting on my rump at home waiting weeks to months for another trainer to open up if one ever opens up after I complain.

The only reason I know this is because since STT is sick and was just released from the hospital Saturday night I've been in contact with the company about getting back on the road with another trainer. So far nada available.

8. ramblingman

ramblingman Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2014
    I'm assuming your talking about going downhill. The green trucks are governed to 62mph IIRC. Some of the team trucks get 65mph maybe, but def. not 70.

9. TruckerGonnaBe

May 27, 2014
    Western WA
    No, sorry, but his is one of 2 according to him that aren't governed at 62. I think he said once his was governed at 66-67.. something like that but I've seen him hit almost 70. He usually runs right around 65 mph even in California. He has a solo truck not a team truck. Hmm although we could have been going downhill just enough to get it up there like that when he was doing almost 70.

Once I'm done I do plan on letting them know but you would think they know already since he has so many critical notices going out. Although rarely for speeding. Mostly for hitting the sleeper bumpers and the white line. They should also know about his teaming with me because it's dispatch calling him to pick up and drop off loads that require a 2nd driver to drive a full 10-11 hour shift to be able to complete in time. :biggrin_25513:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.