hazmat question

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by TowHaul, Feb 14, 2019.

1. TowHaul

TowHaul Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2016
    "A commercial vehicle transporting an empty storage container tank, not designed for transportation, with a rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more that is temporarily attached to a flatbed trailer is not considered a tank vehicle."

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. miszel

miszel Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Have you read what you just send? "Not design for transportation" in my world tanker truck is design for transport

4. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    reviewing my BOL provided by the pickup company (not my carriers bol). In commodity description says hazmat load and "see section 2(e) of MNMFC Item 360" no numbers or codes or anything....

5. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    my vehicle is NOT designed for tranport of an attached tanker or even a tanker itself.

6. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    If the following conditions occur, you are responsible for obtaining a tanker endorsement on your CDL:
    1 Your cargo includes liquid or gaseous individual containers larger than 119 gallon capacity.
    2 The containers are loaded, and not empty.
    3 The total combined volume in those containers exceeds 1,000 gallons

1. yes 2. no 3. no

1 no= no endorsement required....

7. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    in summary what must my BOL state and cover? I have it in front of me now, only sats hazmat load and brief commodity description

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Your question have reached the end of my ability to explain or answer.

This link takes you to a PDF with many beautiful pages both in words and pictures about how specifically to handle BOL in a HM environment. I encourage you to get a pot of coffee and enjoy this resource. It's really good.

You will want to pull a PDF reader, either Open Office from source forge or perhaps Adobe Free PDF reader.

https://hazmatonline.phmsa.dot.gov/...ments/Guide for Preparing Shipping Papers.pdf

TowHaul Thanks this.
  9. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    I put the BOL paperwork problem back in the shippers lap. From my end what do i need? Valid Hazmat endorsement, and 1203 hazard placards on my front bumper, rear of tanker and sides of tanker? Also what other booklets IN truck? Just realized my tiny hazmat booklet is missing...

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The tiny books are not required but since Confucius requires them we should have them. =)

TowHaul Thanks this.
  11. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    does this empty 500 gallon airplane fuel truck (and my truck) even require placards?? This even a hazmat load?? When does diesel fuel require placards?

Posted July 27, 2016

A hazardous materials endorsement (HME) may no longer be required for a driver transporting 1,000 gallons or less of diesel fuel. That’s according to a new final rule published July 22, 2016, in the Federal Register by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

It will now be up to each state whether to waive the HME requirement for bulk diesel transport, under certain situations.

Non- bulk diesel

Did you know that the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) except non-bulk packagings of diesel fuel, when the material is reclassed COMBUSTIBLE?

49 CFR 173.150 states that a flammable liquid with a flash point at or above 38 °C (100 °F) that does not meet the definition of any other hazard class may be reclassed as a combustible liquid.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.