Headlight problem

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Red Hot Mess, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Why has no one posted the classic "headlight" photo?

[​IMG]

Mikeeee

CaptPeabody Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    :biggrin_25526:

I'll help you one more time! ;)

Maybe she don't have a socket set. If you ever had a new truck instead of a ragged out Columbia, the last thing anybody wants is a new driver turning wrenches on it. :) A matter of fact, if it's beyond changing a lightbulb, many companies forbid it.

The last 40 year old driver I seen adjust headlights lit up the tree tops. It's such a simple job, not many know how to do it by the book. Oh, this looks good is not how it's done.

It's simple to change the oil and adjust the brakes. We ain't allowed to do that stuff either.

All 2012 Cascadia's have this problem. Now you know how to identify them at night. :biggrin_25522:

There you go RHM. I took care of your light work. :)

On the serious side, your company should be authorized to do dealer repairs. If not, Freightliner is well aware of the recall and the number of trucks that will be flooding their shops. They ain't gonna bottleneck their shops making everyone wait hours for a simple repair. I would think you would be in and out within an hour. You might even call ahead and tell them you are coming. Shops like that.

Like you said, start with your road service guy and he'll get the ball rolling. Then when you see tinytim, give him the highbeams! :)

123456 Thanks this.
  4. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    You're lucky. My headlights have 3 screws each and they're all rusted solid. And no, they're not lined up right.

5. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    I do my own repairs on the trucks at work even though we have a shop that does the repairs.... I don't get paid extra to play mechanic for the time it takes to do the repairs.. I just do them...

Why do I do them? Save times and my truck doesn't have to go to the shop... Besides I like to fix things myself so I know it is done the right way... If I have the tools in the truck to fix what needs to be done then it gets fixed.. If not then sure I will have the shop fix it.. Or go to my supervisor and use there little tool box in the office...

I have sent my truck to the shop for simple fixes before (this is where the no tools come in) and it's been gone for a few days.... So I'd rather fix my 5 min job then have the truck gone for a few days...

Like it was said before... Truck drivers don't (or shouldn't) just be the person that grips the steering wheel and rolls down the road.. You should not only KNOW how to do the repairs but you should be DOING them as well... Just because you have a shop doesn't mean you need to rely on them to fix simple things.. Your driving the truck not them.. So if you end up getting a ticket for something guess what your probably going to have to pay..

I will admit some newer trucks aren't as easy to work on anymore things are more complex or require special tools... So from this angle sure let the shop do it.. But if it's an easy fix just get out and do it... It would have taken you less time to fix it then it was to get in the board and write up a post about it ;)

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    .....workin' on trucks is so easy even a dog can do it!:biggrin_2559:

Attached Files:

7. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    LOL :)

That's too funny...

8. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Just get your hammer and hit it. That will fix the problem for sure!

Smartest thing to do and easiest...... Pull in behind someone, watch your headlights reflect off their trailer and hit the high beams. If the light goes dim it could be a wiring issue, I've seen it before.

9. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    The next time you go into the shop and ask a mechanic to adjust the headlight on your truck, you need to carry a hammer and promenently display the hammer. Just ask him exactly how hard do I hit the headlight to adjust it anyway. That should get you some service. If even that fails, go into the shop managers office and while banging the hammer on his desk ask him why his crew cannot fix the headlight adjustment on the truck.
    If I have a bottle of white out, a pen, a locking pliers and a hammer; as a driver I can fix anything. It may require me to threaten bodily harm but, I can get it fixed.
    As we said in the artillery, there are few problems in life that cannot be fixed by the application of high explosives.

10. Red Hot Mess

Red Hot Mess Hot Tub Critic

Sep 27, 2011
    Trying to hide from STALKERS
    LOVE IT!!! But I still have to hang out with them so I have to be careful about how I do things. Like on here, it's too easy for them to make fun of me and if I took shammed in there they'd take it literal and I would never live it down!:biggrin_2559:

11. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    who is Cassie and is she hot?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.