Help obtaining CDL- Need Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DrivetoDrive, Jan 2, 2018.

1. DrivetoDrive

DrivetoDrive Bobtail Member

May 26, 2017
    I just want to update this. I took everyone's advice and had the A1C done. I scored a 5 so I'm not diabetic. Still trying to make lifestyle changes. Not having luck pushing forward with the cdl. So few schools and most companies that train aren't near me and demand a year of otr.

Gin86, x1Heavy and Gunner75 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Your year OTR would be almost over if you had started when you first were researching it.
    Some companies have their own cdl school plus regional & local for new grads. Roehl Transport and Schneider are two of them. I was looking at their jobs boards yesterday.

TaterFox Thanks this.
  4. DrivetoDrive

May 26, 2017
    I would have graduated from a trucking school a year ago if it hadn't been for the snags I encountered at the physical. The local school only runs a class once a year because the rest of the year is bought up by Sheetz.

I messaged schneider about their school but haven't heard anything back.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. TaterFox

TaterFox Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Ashland City, TN
    Keep at it. I had a friend recently get set up with Schneider

Gin86 Thanks this.
  6. Gin86

Gin86 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Huntsville, AL
    If it's been more than a week call them back. When I applied to Schneider for the thing that they pay for the school, I heard from them about 4 days later. Depending on the approved school that's near you, you may have to take the DOT physical before starting. I did that and also had to get my cdl permit. I start school on Monday. I honestly feel pretty good about Schneider, and don't mind being stuck with them for a year.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. DrivetoDrive

May 26, 2017
    Where are you taking the classes at?

8. Gin86

Gin86 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Huntsville, AL
    I live in North AL, so ESD in Decatur, AL. I lucked out with it just 30 minutes from our apartment and it's the school I wanted to go too when I was trying to figure out a way to pay it myself.

9. DrivetoDrive

May 26, 2017
    That's great that it worked out so well. Keep me up to date on how it goes. Did you apply for a position yet and if so what was it?

Gin86 Thanks this.
  10. Gin86

Gin86 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks, will do! When I applied it was for an OTR solo position with paid schooling. Of course I was told once I graduate I'll get a final call from my recruiter to set up oientation/training and to make sure there's still a need for a OTR solo driver by then. Which I don't see an issue with. He told me straight up "we're not going to send you to school if there's no job available afterwards" lol. My recruiter is a no bull**** kinda guy, and never rushed me off the phone while I asked all the dumb newbie questions. When you talk to them, make sure they know that you want solo (if that's what you're wanting ofc).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.