Help radiator flush

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Rubberens, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I have been fighting a coolant leak in my truck, I have lost count of how many jugs of coolant I have bought, with red caps that are filled with green or yellow stuff. Having had drivers, and knowing how they lie and BS'd myself... He was pouring whatever he could get into your cooling system. Bottom line, you may need to start maintaining your trucks better than you are.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Go to Advanced Auto for the coolant. They have fleet charge for trucks @ $16.99/gal <----- ask for volume discount (you dont ask, you dont get)

7020030_pek_fca0b3_pri_detl.jpg

4. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    oh, and grab this spill-free funnel (to help bleed the air)

10615650_lis_24680_pri_detl.jpg

5. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I have to agree, someone mixed the two types of anti freeze together. That is something they never teach new drivers and some have learned the hard way. Your radiator is probably plugged now .

6. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    When oil and water or coolant mix it doesn't turn black like tar. Chocolate milk will be a better description. I know what's next I don't know what sludge is OK your right

SAR, snowman_w900 and cnsper Thank this.
  7. Roger McG

Roger McG Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2016
    western mass
    That cat engine I would be willing to bet it's your oil cooler. We always used Lestoil to clean the cooling system.2 jugs Lestoil top with water get the engine good and warm drain flush sometimes repeat

wore out Thanks this.
  8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    The OP gave a vital piece of information no one read. Thus was found right after an overhaul. Nothing like it was seen during. I don't think it's mixed antifreeze because that doesn't happen instantly. I have seen mechanics use everything from whatever grease they had to white lithium, go jo, you name it to lube the liner o-rings. Naturally it rubs off into the coolant passage. No way to clean it up and it always ends up in the bottom radiator hose. They make a liner soap just to install the liners or vegetable oil is the right thing to use. If that's all it is its not a big deal. I don't know for sure that it is or isn't. I do know I would rule that out first

SAR, snowman_w900 and Roger McG Thank this.
  9. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    When I think sludge, I think of the over-cooked oil (like when Saab owners had sludge due to turbo cooking oil).

But no worries, it dont matter.

At end of day, the crap in the OP's truck gotta get cleaned out...whatever it is...

10. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

No disrespect wore out, but he gave another vital piece of info. He flushed the radiator, (possibly whole cooling system, but i doubt it) with dawn dish soap.

Then added red coolant on top of green.

No where in 2 pages so far were liners, rings, sleeves, orings, etc, mentioned at all.

The fact the op said its like clay is also a good sign for mixed coolant.

Just going off what the op said, mixed coolant sounds more promising than lube on sleeves we dont know if it was there or not....

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  11. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    It seems like most agree that it's a mixture of red and green coolant. I see that the driver had a leak and he kept adding coolant. Could he have added some sort of hole plugger, like Stop Leak, or something similar?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.