How do RGN trailers work?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Midwest Trucker, Mar 18, 2022.

1. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Forgot to address the pony motors on Landoll or other sliding axle trailers:

I assume you can get a pony motor to run the hydraulics on pretty much anything, but everyone that I have seen running a sliding axle trailer has a wet kit. Primarily just for speed if they are hauling every day, and also reliability. Honda engines are relatively trouble free, but when it is 10 below and the entire trailer and pony motor is covered in an inch of ice, a wet kit is much more desirable.

cke, W923, stwik and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    You have forgotten more about this stuff than I will ever know - any suggestions for @Midwest Trucker ?

4. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    Yeah. Become an electrician or bricklayer.

cke, Speedy356, stwik and 6 others Thank this.
  5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Excellent info! I need to come out and just shadow you for a week and soak this stuff in! :)

As far as putting the links in the slot on that landoll… that’s pretty surprising to me that it’s sufficient to be trusted.

On the axles that makes sense why I saw either a 50 or 55 ton that had 2 axles down, 1 air lift, and 1 flip. Increase your capacity as needed without needing permits I suppose.

I saw a 115,000 lb load today posted for 750 miles and paid 15k. Wow.

In any event, I can see why a lot of you guys really get into this heavy haul stuff. I’m not necessarily talking the money but that it’s very cool and also challenging.

cke, Speedy356, Feedman and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Consider that one is probably going to run empty for half the trip - so 1500 miles for 15K is only $10/ mi. Then take into account maybe a grand in permits, potential pilot cars depending on what it is, a few million in cargo insurance, probably $750K in tractor/trailer, $3K in chains and binders............$15K might not have been a very good rate.

That's out of my league though so I am just guessing. I haul up to 100,000 lbs with our equipment. Once you start getting much heavier than that the cost may increase exponentially - I really do not know.

Nostalgic, cke, beastr123 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

The guys i know that run traveling axle trailers all run wet kits, and have remote controls: they use the sliding axle function for maneuverability in tight areas in motion.

cke, beastr123, stwik and 6 others Thank this.
  8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I hadn't thought of that - using a remote - pretty clever.

9. macavoy

macavoy Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    All the travelling axle trailers I rode, either had the remotes lost or broken. Having to get out to slide the axles makes cheating less fun and cool when making a sharp corner.

Never ran one with a ponty motor though, all wet kits.

10. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    The John Deere dealer decided today that they can make delivery tomorrow. lol. Must have sensed I was getting antsy. It was 70 degrees today and the grass is getting green.

After work today I went to tractor supply and got a sprayer for my Polaris side by side. Going to get these fence lines on point this year. Got my chain saw running. So happy spring has arrived!

11. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I borrowed and used a detachable neck many times from a friend. It has its own hydro system powered by a Honda v-twin pony engine. Pulled it behind my ‘67 Pete. No problem. Just have to have a fifth wheel that can slide back past halfway point of tandems and a 4ft length of thick steel I-beam that won’t bend to lay on rear frame rails for the goose neck to sit on when unlatched from the trailer.
    Landall makes great stuff to move your kind of toys too. They’ve been on my wish list for long time and missed an opportunity to buy a used one 8years ago from another friends widow by a few days.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.