How hard is it getting into LTL?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Driver5666, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Driver5666

Driver5666 Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2024
    I have heard drivers say "XYZ Company" is super difficult to get into, is this a case where the companies hire one driver out of a large application pool? I applied to 4 LTL companies in the Omaha area and am wondering what the chances of them hiring me are. They said it takes a month or two to process the application and when it comes to interviews I have no idea how many there are or how long it will take. I have a good driving record, all the endorsements, and 2 years experience otr so any input would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Very hard . Depending on the location some terminals won't hire you unless you know someone. Places like xpo are a bit easier

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    It's really not that tough.....it just depends on their needs. Good luck.

road_runner and Jamie01 Thank this.
  5. Jamie01

Jamie01 Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2020
    It's a local job, so it's completely dependent on your location. And your timing matters too. Positions open up, so you need to be there when they do.

6. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    It seems like most LTL carriers let positions sit open for a while and collect applicants, particularly when they don’t desperately need the help and there’s a lot of quality applicants out there. Don’t let it discourage you, keep applying and be patient.

Make sure to consider applying for smaller LTLs as well. Dayton Freight and Midwest Motor Express are both hiring in your area, both paying 77cpm for linehaul and $32/hr for P&D.

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    It used to be a tall order to get into this line of the industry. It isn’t anymore. It seems most of the companies will not only now hire any doofus who can pass a drug test, but also bring them on board at top scale.

8. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Market is down, freight is down, election year too. Most ltl companies are staff heavy right now. Not the best time to get in, even if you do a layoff is a possibility.

9. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I second this. Put in an application to all the companies you can find but this is one of the worst years for freight in general. Even if you do get hired on, there is a good chance you will be laid off before Christmas. Hang tight until the economy starts showing signs of recovery.

lual Thanks this.
  10. ColoradoLinehaul

ColoradoLinehaul Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2021
    Colorado
    I got in pretty easy, but I got in at a time they were desperate for help. It was an employees market back then.

Now it's an employers market. Things are more stringent now. Standards and requirements are stricter and higher. So you need to make some new contacts who are in LTL, someone you can use as a reference.

If you don't have your Hazmat, Doubles/Triples and Tanker, you need to get that yesterday.

I would apply with Saia first. They always seem desperate for help. They can't keep drivers at that company though. Most drivers dont like the driver facing cameras.

Speed_Drums, lual, Speedy356 and 2 others Thank this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    When a company has hiring ads on the back of the trailers, there’s usually a reason for it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.