Idiotic speed behavior

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Kyle G., Jul 24, 2021.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Most 4-wheelers don't read ANY sign. The don't decide (pick a number) what speed to drive. They use psychological clues and extetnal clues. Ifbthey are on a wide road, they go faster. It doesn't matter if the speed limit is 30 or 50. Wide road = fast. When they are on freeway & interstate highways they psychologically adopt their speed. "I'm the person that feels comfortable passing a few people per minute/hour/whatever and being passed by fewer people, or vice versa. And their foundation belief is if I can see a truck I will do ANYTHING (including throwing the children out of the window or setting myself on fire, driving 90 in a school zone or driving 9 on the interstate) to be in front of that truck a mile and a half away.

When there is a lane to use to get around you they will use it, if not permanently live in it. If it's a 2 lane road they will pass in the grass, pass in the opposite direction lane full of oncoming traffic.

In short, they don't think & then decide. They feel something & then do something, usually something stupid.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Coming out of construction zones people like that may pass 2 or 3 speed limit signs before they adjust to the speed limit they have been driving since leaving the construction limit. Or they will drag along at the lower limit, when they last paid attention, until another truck starts to pass. At that point it is "drop everything. I can't let that happen".

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    The schools are part of the problem, but not the main problem. The other greater issues stem from the parents.
    A few years back, I invited a very young driver, lease operator, specialized freight, who was new and struggling, out to dinner with me and 3 other drivers. As soon as he sat at the table, he put those ear bud things in his ears.

Are you on the phone?

“No.”

Are you listening to music?

“No.”

So, why do you have those things in your ears?

“I always so this.”

This is a business meeting. I invited you out to meet others in the business. If anyone needs to be paying attention, it’s you. Your behavior is rude.

“Oh, I didn’t know.” (He takes the ear buds out and puts them on the table.”

Put them in your pocket.

“I didn’t know. I never had anyone tell me that.”

5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Even if they're doing the speed limit they still do it. Brain dead. My uncle that's a NJ cop said he was more likely to pull someone over that slammed on their brakes that was speeding compared to someone that didn't back out of it. He said if they're gonna have the balls to speed you might as well have the balls not to slam on your brakes Lol

Edit. He just retired from the force a few years back. Couldn't stand all the corruption going on and playing politics

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  6. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Word, Six.....

7. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    This is the same brain dead fellow who is in a big hurry to pass you only to exit three feet later. It's too mentally taxing to look down the road to see what lies ahead, even if what is ahead is feet away.

My solution? Offenders spend quality time in the public stocks.

8. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Even if I am doing a few miles over the limit, I will not back out of it. In fact I wave to them just to show that I am friendly and have no guilty conscience. For one thing, no cops around here care about a few miles over the limit, and also, they know #### well when a person is speeding and if the cop is really paying attention then they probably see you way before you see them.

Thats too bad your uncle had to retire to escape the corruption. Sounds like he was one of the good cops that never seem to get the respect they deserve.

9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    He put in over 20 years. Once you start hating it then it's time to do something else. As long as you keep it within 7mph of the speed limit on the big road most anyone won't mess with you as long as your not doing anything bone headed

10. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    these cops is outta control!!! about to load up some donut holes into a nerf gun and start raising blood sugars

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  11. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    driving 55 mph is against my religion

CorsairFanboy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.