1. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Trucks are Peterbilt 579s. The vast majority are midroof with a few high rise condos. Almost all trucks are automatics, only seen a couple sticks. No clue how those came about. Rumor is new trucks ordered are 50/50 auto and manual.

Trucks have 1500 watt inverters, dorm style fridge and TV mounts (24" flat-screen fits perfectly). No APUs or standalone bunk heaters, gotta idle if you don't want to melt or freeze. Most trucks are the larger 70" (80"?, I know they are way roomier than my old Cascadia) Sleeper with plenty of storage cabinets. There are some trucks with a smaller sleeper and those have a cooler style flip top fridge. Those small sleeper trucks usually have pumps or PTOs installed.

No cameras at all on the trucks for those of you who care about them. I think the newer trucks have collision mitigation style doo dads on them. My 2017 has none of that.

Older trucks have Cummins X15 which pull like a freight train. I've been really impressed with how 80K can get up some mountains with that engine. The newer Petes have much quieter Paccar engines. The Cummins is a noisy old beast.

Speed_Drums and Life on Wheels Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I've only ever pulled juice out of California. Some of it was grape juice that was destined to be turned into wine though. A Visalia based driver can expect to see ALOT of Oregon and Washington as there are dedicated customers up that way.

4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Soda bottling plant syrup unloads right next to the corrosive Phosphoric acid...there are a number of food additive haz mats.

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  5. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2020
    I finished orientation. Pretty basic stuff just filling out paperwork, getting assigned fuel card, going over how the they like to run things. Got my first load picking up tomorrow in Tipton, CA going to Spokane, WA. Then I believe they’ve already got a preplanned from there to Pennsylvania. Pay is 53 cents a mile loaded and unloaded unless the trip is less then 250 miles then it is 24% of the load. Trucks are pretty nice. I got assigned an older one but they told me to keep it and it would be upgraded soon. They run peterbilt 579 midroofs mostly. They have a few condos but not many. Regional guys can get a smaller truck but most of them are the 72 inch I believe each. One I have has a Cummins X-15 and she’s nice. Can’t wait to see how it pulls up the hill. Trucks are governed at 72 or 73 I forgot. They’re equipped with an inverter, come with xm (you provide the subscription), dorm style fridge, tv mounts. No bunk heater, but they don’t have an idle policy at all so you can idle as much as you want. Anyways that’s about it for now.

Redtwin, REO6205 and Smut Thank this.
  6. Life on Wheels

Life on Wheels Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Thanks for the update

Redtwin Thanks this.
  7. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    That Spokane load is a drop/hook, dont know if they told you that, so you can run it there ahead of schedule if you like. 97 from Weed is a scenic run, but I would dread it if there was snow on the roads.

Never ran from Spokane to PA. All my WA loads went to Florida.

8. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2020
    I left my house in So Cal today to head up to Visalia to first drop a dirty tank at a wash and pick up a clean. Got to the TA in Wheeler Ridge right before the 5 and 99 split off before Bakersfield. I needed fuel, but when I tried using my card it said inactive. Turns out they never activated my fuel card. Ended up sitting in the truck stop for several hours while they took care of that mess. Then while.im sitting there the load I was in cancelled. Had several loads cancel on them apparently and they weren't able to get me on anything till Monday. I ended up just heading back home. So yeah not a very great start to my journey with them. Hopefully this isn't a common thing.

9. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I haven't found cancelations to be common, but it does happen. Better to find out now than when you get to the shipper and the guys on the loading rack are wondering why all these trucks have just showed up.

If the receiver tanks are full or they have production delays they may have asked to delay deliveries. Again that is preferable to arriving there loaded then having to sit there for a day or two until they can unload you.

I have to say I wasn't impressed with food grade my first couple of months. I was used to running 3500+ miles every week doing dry van and reefer and that just isn't going to happen here on a regular basis. The miles have crept up and with the slight bump in CPM I'm thinking to at least give it a year and then reevaluate. If you don't already have your passport and can get one and travel to Canada the border crossing pay is a decent chunk of change and can really pad out your paycheck especially if you can get 2 or 3 crossings in a pay cycle.

10. Life on Wheels

Life on Wheels Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    You were able to run 3500+ miles a week doing dry van and reefer? Is that common for them because I always thought they did less than that. I'm only asking because I've never done van OTR and have been thinking about it lately. These recruiters promise you tons of miles, but you never know if they're lying.

11. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Yes that was with Abilene 2 years ago. They do dry van and reefer so always kept moving. I had quite a few 4000 mile weeks too but you had to be running out west to hit that, not going to happen in NE traffic.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.