1. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    @Bobblehead Best of luck with the new job. You did the right thing.

kemosabi49, Bobblehead and nikmirbre Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CorsairFanboy

CorsairFanboy Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    How are you liking it? Saw on their website they posted the start pay at .53cpm. Wonder if I could get a bit higher than that with 3+ years.

Are the trucks still 70mph? APUS or idle? How many watts is the inverter?
    Do you go to Canada? The $200 for crossing the border seems a bit enticing.

4. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Some are even faster than 70mph... allegedly.

Haven't heard of anyone getting higher than .53cpm, but they are now advertising a sign on bonus which wasn't available a year ago.

Idle, but I recently saw a new International that had an APU. No clue how many of those they bought, but hopefully that was the only one. I would love to have an APU, but not if it's attached to an International.

My truck has a 1500 watt inverter. More than enough for a microwave and TV. Even handles my little shop vac.

The $200 Canada pay is probably the only reason I intend to stay here. I've had some paychecks with 4 border crossings on it. That's a $2,000+ take home week.

CorsairFanboy and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  5. CorsairFanboy

Feb 19, 2018
    I spilled some of my drink when I read "I would like an APU as long as it does not come with an international" hahaha I could not agree more. I would not be a happy camper on one of those when I could ride on Petes haha. If I apply I'd let it be known that I'd like a Pete..

I'm not much of a fan of Border Crossing (The US side always treats me rude and questions me extra for some reason) but for $200 it would not be too shabby. I Wonder how often they would come, I know not many drivers want to cross.

I'm thinking about trying tankers again (started in Oil fields in 2014 but when on the road in 2015 when it got slow). I wonder how it would be doing tankers OTR. I hear it can take a while at certain places, and that the washes could be a pain..

I would not mind trying it for a year or so just to see where you guys go to. I got used to doing long haul on Interstates so that is a bit boring now. Could use some country roads if that is where you get to go on.

Redtwin, Smut and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  6. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I mainly run 2-3 Platteville or Hutchinson a week. Stay out 3-4 nights, home for the same. Of course Snowmaggedon is stretching that out this weekend. I do know there's plenty of long haul/48 state stuff available for those that ask though. Route wise, I've heard of plenty of drivers doing primarily small state highways. Dispatch seems pretty cool about it.

Redtwin and CorsairFanboy Thank this.
  7. CorsairFanboy

Feb 19, 2018
    Where I live I can do regional or OTR, doubt I will be back home like how you run haha. I don't mind running for a month or so.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  8. aztruckerr

aztruckerr Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2013
    phoenix,az
    When I worked there in 2011 miles were very slow. But loved the tanker life.

bentstrider83 and Redtwin Thank this.
  9. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    We, or I should say, the NE to Canada runs cross primarily in NY and the busier the crossing, the more ornery the US customs. Buffalo they seem to get testy. Alexandria bay and Champlain are much more laid back. Even had a few of them engage in friendly chat. We cross so often at Champlain that they get to know who we are.

I don't know where you live but if you are willing to run out of Bensalem PA, there are multiple Canada loads daily. Almost all are drop hook at the port in NJ (there is a local guy stationed there shuttling tanks in the loading rack) and in Canada there are a couple drop/hook customers and the live unload customers can be as little as a 30min or as long as a 3-4hr process depending on product.

These are the main customers I have been to in Ontario and Quebec. Can't speak for other parts of Canada.

I haven't sat at a tank wash in a long time. Bensalem has their own wash rack so I usually wind up deadheading back there after Canada trips, regional NE, and a semi regular Ohio run. There are 2 tank washes I have been to in Canada, 2 in NY and the infamous OJs in Kearny NJ and those were all drop hook.

I know the NE is a dirty word in the trucking vocabulary, but it really isn't that bad. Plenty places to park at the ports and of course the Bensalem terminal. Worst part of working out of Bensalem is getting stuck doing dedicated juice runs out of the port (NJ and DE). Those pay a flat rate and you can still make $300 a day even with traffic. I usually only wind up doing those if one of the regular drivers is off or we get behind for some reason.

I'm not a country road kind of guy, especially when loaded. Nice open highways are where I want to be.

10. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Yeah, miles are still lower than I was used to doing with dry van/reefer the Canada pay more than makes up for it though. Would be better if they paid layover and were more generous with detention and breakdown, but overall, my average gross is more now than it was running big miles with boxes.

The day I can no longer go to Canada, is the day I start looking for another job.

11. aztruckerr

aztruckerr Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2013
    phoenix,az
    They need to pay for washout time.

bentstrider83 and Redtwin Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.