is it worth the switch?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Despawned, Feb 8, 2020.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    NAH. I'll stick with what is known. Doealex said it best. Bird in Hand and two in bush. 2700 contract etc.

From now on never work with family where possible in life. All it does it busts them up.

Home is nice but expensive. So there is no real point in going regularly unless I or we have been out long enough to get saddlesore having stacked money, we'll go home for a month or winter. By then we will be raring to go soon enough.

Doealex Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Forget about a reference from your current job if you break it. Not a major deal if you stick with the new job for awhile

4. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I can’t say anything about breaking a contract, but I will say this:

Once I made the switch to hourly local work, I will NEVER go back to mileage pay. F that. Especially now that I load/unload my own trailer with my own forklift. I do everything on my own time. I don’t have to wait for any shipper/receiver, I don’t have appointment times, I don’t have to follow any route or fuel plan, if I pull in to my fuel stop and there is a line, I turn around and go somewhere else. it’s awesome.

These jobs are out there, you just have to be patient. Put your resume on Indeed and just keep your eyes open, but don’t rush it.

I don’t mean to slam OTR drivers, they do their thing and I do mine, and everyone is (hopefully) happy.

5. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    I don’t know about breaking a contract, but being home most nights, sleeping in your own bed, being around family and friends and still making good money. Local.

6. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    If you pay off your contract and leave you have fulfilled your contract. I’m assuming this is to cover CDL training. Your debt is to be paid with time or money which way you decide to pay is your choice. I vote for paying the money and starting the hourly gig. Teaming OTR always ends up sucking

7. Snow Hater

Snow Hater Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2019
    As a prospective driver I was told I should talk to drivers of the company or school I was considering to find out if what was being said was true. Maybe that advise would apply to you. It would help answer a major question.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  8. Despawned

Despawned Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2019
    Yeah I have talked to a few drivers and basically grown up with the company as my dad has been working there for 25+ years and I know basically everyone there.

9. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    If you take the new job, you will have earned enough to pay the $2700 in two months, so by month number 3 you will have come out ahead, assuming that the current company is paying you less than new company is offering. And being home daily is always nice.

10. Despawned

Despawned Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2019

I would make about the same OTR with the current company but would make more at the new company being local vs at the current company local.

11. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Since you can make more with the new company and be home every day, I believe I would take that opportunity if I were you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.