J.B Hunt Intermodel

Discussion in 'JB Hunt' started by Ike, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Cody1984

Cody1984 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    I work for JB Hunt out of there Harrisburg Intermodal terminal. I made 51K my first year with them but during my first year with them there were 4 raises handed out and this October will be my second year with them and it will get my 8th raise since I started with the company only 2 of which were scheduled yearly raises. So to answer your question yes 52k is doable in your first year with all the pay raises put out. I will make around 60k this year. If you stay there till you max out your mileage pay you can make 70k a year without killing yourself. The way pay raises have been going and from what I've been hearing will continue to go for the future 80k could be realistic by the end of the decade once you max out your pay which will you do after working for them for 6 years.

The whole trucking industry is hurting for drivers and OTR freight is going to intermodal because of that. JB Hunt and others are all heavily recruiting and giving out more and more pay raises to try and get drivers because they do not have enough drivers to meet there needs. To put this in perspective the Harrisburg terminal kept getting backed up so much they had to fly 20 drivers in from Seattle for a few weeks to get the terminal caught back up. If you are worried about work the Harrisburg Intermodal terminal always has something for you to do. As far as the pay goes you will start out at $.36 per mile, $23 per drop and hook, $43 per live un/load, $10 per equipment move (bringing a damaged container back to the terminal for repair, ingating a container from the terminal to one of the rail yards, doing a chassis move, etc.), $17 per hour...which goes up to $25.50 if you are at a customer and you go past an hour detention...so for the first hour of detention you get $17 per hour every hour after that it's $25.50 and you start collecting detention after having been at the customer for an hour and a half...if you are broke down you just get $17 an hour. If you were a weekened shift Thursday to Monday or Friday to Tuesday you get an extra $.01 per mile so instead of making $.38 per mile I make $.39 per mile. If a customer refuses a load you get paid $23 for the refused tonu.

To put this in proper perspective when I started with JB Hunt in October 2012 mileage pay started at $.34 per mile (it also maxed out at $.44 per mile it is now $.46 per mile or $.47 per mile if you work a weekend differential shift) there was no weekend differential pay increase...you got paid the same even if your shift is a weekend one, it was $21 per drop and hook, $41 per live un/load, equipment move was the same, hourly pay was just $15 per hour and you were only paid $15 per hour no matter how long you were at a customer. Refused Tonu was only $10 when I started there.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    teqntexas Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. teqntexas

teqntexas Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Ft. Worth Tx.
    man your making this sound almost to good. I'm not really looking for a change, but got a call from a jb recruiter yesterday asking if i'd be interested in pulling inter-model out of the rail yard in Haslet Tx, (the alliance area for those have been around there.) offered .389 cpm monday - friday with sat or sundays being optional. max range out he said would be @ 450 miles... I've never pulled containers before, but it was a realllllly tempting call..

4. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    What's "tonu"? We don't use that term in JB Intermodal Chicago West.

5. Cody1984

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    Refused Tonu means the customer refused to accept a load you are bringing in or the load is not available to pick up from the customer when it was scheduled to be picked up.

6. Cody1984

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    I only ever worked for JB Hunt in Harrisburg Intermodal so I have no idea what it's like in Haslet TX...I don't want to sell false hope to someone else in another part of the country because JB Hunt might not pay as well there. Just putting out what we make in Harrisburg PA since another person asked about it.

7. Ebola Guy

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    Still a weird word. You guys speak funny over there. ;)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  8. DavidBrownTrucking

DavidBrownTrucking Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2007
    St. Louis
    TONU= Truck Ordered Not Used.

Ebola Guy Thanks this.
  9. Ebola Guy

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    I'll be sure to use that acronym next time a load falls through. Anyone care to place a bet I'll get a response, "what?".

10. DavidBrownTrucking

DavidBrownTrucking Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2007
    St. Louis
    TONU is what I put on my activity sheet so I get paid for trying to make the pickup. $15+, mileage.

matt1502 Thanks this.
  11. matt1502

matt1502 Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    We use TONU in Mechanicville. It pays $20 plus mileage.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.