Kingpin Setting

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by glitterglue, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Wear and tear on tires yes.. but this trailer goes exactly wear I point it. Never guess which axle it will pivot on when backing up.

First step deck I've ever had.. but pulled several regular flats.. Wilson, Transcraft and a Great Dane... none were as predictable as this trailer.

When I get some money together my plan is to make the front axle lift and run it like that in between loads.

Hurst

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Mine is a Fontaine Infinity, 53'. 18" king pin set back. Makes for 41.5' king pin to center when spread.

But I agree.. I love the space between headache rack and trailer. I did 3 utility vans that had long steps at the back. Put first one over the front facing the back of the trailer. The other 2 facing forward with barely an inch hanging over the back.

43' lower deck, 10' upper. Plenty of room for everything I've come across so far. Havent come up on anything yet that couldnt be made to fit and transport safely.

Hurst

CanadianVaquero Thanks this.
  4. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    I would think moving any trailer axle fwd would put more weight on the trailer axles and less on the drives.

EDIT: Ok I reread it, thought you said 'weight' originally but you said 'center' of load. So yes you are right and I'm right.

I would think any flatbedder would already know that. It's like duh no Sch--t. Waste of my time ###### gotta go.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
  6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Yikes Hurst, you look light on the steers. Do you run in the snow like that?

Hurst Thanks this.
  7. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    My stretch has a 15" kingpin but on top of that if I run my slider all the way forward I'm just centered between my rears. That's why I don't need RGN ramps either, I can line the tips of my 5th wheel up with the wedge cuts on the rear frame rails and so far I've been able to get under and lift anything I needed to.

With most of what I haul I have to be slid all the way back and on 280 wings be very careful turning left, all the others very careful turning right otherwise I'll stick a million dollar wingtip in my headache box and I don't want to damage my shiny headache box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    What picture are you looking at?

I'm far from light on steers. You see those tanks... 150 gal each.. set right behind the steers. C15 ACERT under hood. Full of fuel I'm 12,300 on my steers. Even at 1/4 tank I'm never below 11,500 on steers.

5th wheel set all the way back.. even with 33k on my drives.. I wont be more than 12,400 on steers. Scales never hastle me.

Plus last year I parked from Dec 20th till Feb 28th. Too poor right now to park it for winter.. drives are super light when empty. I slip n slide bad when its icy. I have all new drive tires this winter.. so hopefully it wont be so bad.

Hurst

9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    The one with the bus and the paver. Must be the steer weight comes from the truck. You must be more or less the same weight on your steers loaded or empty?

10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Yes.. same steer weight pretty much.. loaded or empty. Load/trailer has minimal effect on steers with where the 5th wheel is now.

Hurst

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That also gives more room for fifth wheel adjustment should that be necessary.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.