Lesson learned

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by 24kHotshot, Dec 8, 2021.

1. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I appreciate that coming from YOU!

singlescrewshaker and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Lmao :D

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    my biggest issue with single axle for doing cars is about going into neighborhoods. If doing flatbed freight then yeah single axle is just fine but at that point might as well just do a normal semi.

However with cars, some of the places I’ve gone to deliver, Id be a bit worried trying to get a bigger truck into them.

Lite bug and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  5. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL

You ever driven a 210 wheelbase or shorter single screw.?

I've definitely been worried going into some of the places people asked me too, but rarely did it stop me from trying.! Lol :D

Surprised myself sometimes where I could get that girl into. It out maneuvered my twin screw night & day difference, & this tandem is only 19in longer. Add to that an air ride trailer with a dump switch on the rear axle & I went anywhere I'd go in my old dodge.. Think'n of putting the lift axle kit on my forward trailer axle too for empty, & backing where tail swing is a problem..

Height wise yes, I'm 9' at the roof, 11' top of stacks. So in theory 9' is about as short as you can get a semi. I'd guess my dodge was around 6' maybe 6'6" at the gooseneck, I can't remember..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  6. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I check google maps satellite and street view to make sure I can get to the drop, if I can't I make the customer meet me somewhere near by like a big parking lot. Never had anybody complain having to meet me a few blocks away in an area i can unload.

My truck is a few inches over 11 feet, I have a midroof sleeper. I have to really plan any routes going into major cities like NYC boroughs. Stressful but you learn.

7. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yeah, but in residential you have low trees and weight restrictions and people that will ##### if you drive a semi down their street..lol

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  8. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Oh 100% But if it was them recieving a car they bought, it'd be fine by those exact same people that day, & that day only!! Lol

I live in city limits, & if I park it in the driveway overnight or over the weekend some anonymous dick takes a photo, & turns it over to city code enforcement. :rolleyes:

I recieve a copy of the picture, 3 pages of code with my violation in red text, (no vehicles over 10,000lb GVWR) & 7 days to remove the truck. Usually I'm already gone with the truck for 2-5days by time the letter arrives. Lmao :D

Funny thing is nobody said a peep about my dually, even lettered up with DOT info on it. Not to mention practically every 350/3500 SRW & up series truck & work van nowadays is over 10k GVWR. Sorry, going off on a tangent here.. lol

Lite bug, clausland, crocky and 3 others Thank this.
  9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yeah, that's one of the other things is I can keep my set up at home space wise but I couldn't keep a semi & the trailer at home anymore due to not enough space. As it is my current setup barely fit where I park lol.

I'm not aginst the single axles at all btw, I 100% think they are the better option for long-lasting and so on. I just debate back and forth if I'd go that route or not. Kinda my thinking is if you go that far, might as well just go full-fledge Semi and not be limited.

Although I am interested in a 5 car Semi truck. I'd 100% run one of those if I found the right one and could buy it.. This one just sold for $25k and had I had the $25k cash to buy it in time I'd 100% be driving it...

248718797_1509641612716717_7885398928893059533_n.jpg

It had a Detriot 60 elog exempt by age and had a sleeper.. It's an ugly duckling but very rare to see those with a sleeper. I'd 100% run that truck all day long if I could get one.. That set up is basically my dream set up for running cars.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  10. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    That is a sweet a♤s ride!! I like it.. :thumbup:
    I don't look much at car hauling equipment, but $25k sounds like a good price.? Especially today's market hard to get a decent tractor for that, let alone a rig ready to make money..

I'm also a sucker for almost any truck packing a Series 60. Miss that motor already.. :(

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  11. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yeah, I was bummed to see it sold. I was hoping to get enough cash put together on my current trip to buy it. I didn’t care for the color but it appeared to be well cared for and the interior was redone with new seats and so on.

it was pretty much my perfect truck aside from the color and the ugly ### old school Volvo/White hood…but that could have grown on me.

Its only the 3rd 5pack I’ve ever seen with a factory sleeper. I could make a lot of money with that truck.
    Pretty much all the ones you find don’t have sleepers and they’ve been abused if they are old enough to not need elogs

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.