Lesson learned

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by 24kHotshot, Dec 8, 2021.

1. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    The reason you rarely see a 5 pack with a sleeper is overall length. The majority of states restrict a straight truck to 40 foot bumper to bumper and 5 units barely fit on a 40' 5 pack. Add the sleeper and you end up at 45' which is only legal in a few states.

I love the concept and have run a 5 pack before servicing New York City but if your state does not support longer trucks or enforces overhang (which a 5 pack isn't allowed in most states) they can be problematic.

crocky, Lite bug, 24kHotshot and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    This is the first 5 pack I have seen with 22.5" rubber. Every single one I have seen till today was 19.5" and usually on a m2 112 chassis that looks like it is lowered. Average sedan height is a little less than 5 feet and that means truck has to be lower than 9 feet tall on the headrack to fit anything on it under 13.6". throw on a sleeper and now its a 4 car hauler and a pain to find a load that would fit. That volvo has about a 26 foot bed behind it with that size sleeper. Not many cars are 13 feet long so I doubt it would take 2 on the bottom. This truck wouldn't be able to take SUVs at all. Also, looks very top heavy. The m2 line of trucks have the extended cab models that come with a bed inside and the sleeper is small enough to not take much away from your bed length. Can maybe get 28-29 foot bed behind a 112 extended cab.

Long wheelbase semi with a 5 car drop belly suncountry is in my opinion the most versatile car hauler you can get. Haul anything from busses to 6 small sedans. You will never lose out on the best load available in your area. Was putting together a mock load on central for a suncountry to see what it can do and found a 5 car load paying a little over 10k for about 2200 miles. A 4 pack that can only take sedans will barely top out at 2.5 a mile loaded unless you are extremely lucky.

I thought all car haulers are allowed the 4 foot overhang on the rear and 3 on the front, even 5 packs?

crocky Thanks this.
  4. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    No, only those that meet the definition of automobile transporter, which is only applicable to tractor trailers not straight trucks. The key is found in the definition which requires it to be a combination of vehicles.

§ 658.5 Definitions.
    Automobile transporters. Any vehicle combination designed and used specifically for the transport of assembled highway vehicles, including truck camper units.

crocky and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  5. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    So if I haul a small trailer behind my straight truck I am legally a "combination vehicle", right?
    Google isn't helping much and isn't clear on these laws. I have been searching for months to find what is and isn't legal. Hopefully any officers that decide to measure me will accept that my truck is an automobile transporter and allow me my 4 ft overhang with or without a trailer in tow.

6. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    With a trailer yes, but then unless it uses a 5th wheel hitch in a stinger steer configuration your overall will be limited to 65' from front of truck to rear of trailer.

As for without the trailer, don't count on it. Motor carrier enforcement is hot on illegal overhang in most states and they know a straight truck does not qualify for overhang with a divisble load such as cars.

Lite bug and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  7. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    yes a combination if you have a trailer.

8. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I didn't know that. Maybe that's why I don't see them for sale much in other states. I've searched all over the country for 5 packs and 99% of the ones' I've found have always been in FL. I always thought that was odd but maybe it's just because they are legal here and not elsewhere.

9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I've never actually seen a 5 pack on a M2 chassis. I always see them on either Ford Sterlings, the volvo, old internationals and a few Pete's.

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  10. Otr_tohru

Otr_tohru Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2022
    Hello everyone, new to the thread but not in trucking, my husband and I are thinking on making the change from 53” to straight trucks expedited, could anyone recommend a good company to work for? Or any review about their current employer? Much appreciated

11. Ragman54

Ragman54 Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2016
    S.E. Michigan
    Bolt is known to be a good company to lease on to for newbies in the expedite world.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.